An Odd Find

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in my flower bed of all places. I have found a few interesting things here at our house. I can only assume the people before us were rock hunters as well.

I would not have thought twice about this rock except as soon as I picked it up, the weight for this little rock seemed to be a lot. The smaller piece broke off from it and when I washed it off it sparkled like crazy. The total weight was close to 9 ounces and the little piece weighed 1.2 ounces.

It is not magnetic and I have not seen iron or lead sparkle like this. Was wondering what others might think ?

f.JPG FB.JPG FB1.JPG

FB2.JPG FB3.JPG

Attachments

• FB1.JPG
    FB1.JPG
    486.4 KB · Views: 76

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the weight and look of it I think you have a piece of galena. The outer weathering looks about right.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
From the weight and look of it I think you have a piece of galena. The outer weathering looks about right.

I think you are totally on the mark here and want to also say, that this piece appears to be more predominant in Silver than in Lead, especially due to the bluish/purple appearance in the second pic! Also, considering that the piece broke apart, it must be fairly brittle thus leading me to believe that it has more of a make-up of Silver.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread