Gem mining for vacation?

Acedes

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Wisconsin and there really isn't much gem mining here to my knowledge. Anyone know of places I could go for a week or two and dig around doing some gem mining? I have no idea what I'm doing so I would be willing to be some cheap labor for someone just to learn the ropes a few times a year.
I really want to get into this passion. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC has several pay to dig sites along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful there. NC has a lot of gemstones.

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most but not all "mines" are salted around here. pm me if you come this way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acedes

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would much rather not get a salted mine. Almost feels like it's staged that way. After watching the show Prospectors, I really want to do that. Looks like a fun, relaxing way to enjoy life.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of the mining on Prospectors Show are at 13000-14000 feet. Not relaxing at all especially if one isn't acclimated for altitude. There is almost nowhere that isn't claimed around Cripple Creek area. But I know what you mean. I went to that area to mine last June by invite and had a ball.
I've never been to Crater of Diamonds in Ark but some here have.
In Wis I heard that the Dell's area was missed by the glacier. If true there might be something there.
A good way to learn is in a gem club. It's one of those never ending learning gigs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acedes

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice. I will look into some clubs in this area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acedes

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marinedad, are the unsalted mines dig your own or do you just get a bucket from a mine?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of free places to go in North Carolina to Gem prospect as well as some Pay to mine mines that offer both digging for natural gems or sell you the salted bags/buckets. Ray Mica Mine outside of Burnsville is great for Aquamarine, Morganite, Moonstone, Garnets, Amazonite and a few others. Chunky Gal Mountain southwest of Franklin on the way to Hayesville has Rubies and Sapphires in Smaragdite, some cutable Smaragdite that is mixed with Quartz and/or Aventurine and even some Aventurine there. Just have to watch out for the Rattlesnakes there. There are a lot of other free areas as well which information used to be and probably still is available in a more in-depth online search. Some of the rockhounding clubs used to post this information online. You can Gem prospect in many streams and rivers but you have to be careful and not venture onto someone's Gold claim. These are best accessed from Public access areas or in the National Forests and sometimes it is best to have a partner or partners to keep an extra eye out for Rattlesnakes, Copperheads and the occasional Mountain Lion and two-legged snakes.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
huntsman mentioned rattle snakes and one problem with gem hunting is, like crows, we are often distracted by anything shiny. Reach down to grab it and don't notice we are being watched.

In NM a person could go on private land as long as they were in water. A river or stream. Not anymore. New law allows land owners to restrict access. I can see a lot of problems for people that have fished these places for years.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acedes

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, snakes are something I never thought about. That is a scary thought:)

Upvote 0

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
places that I have been:
Herkimer N.Y. for Herkimer Diamonds ... no an easy dig
Diamond Crater Park, AR. ... nice place, no diamonds yet, but lots of other gemstones to be found, agates, jasper, conglomerates, quartz, calcite
Wegner Crystal mine, AR ... great dig, lots of quartz white and clear in the tailings, gonna go to the mine itself later this year... about 45 minutes from diamond crater park and there are other quartz mines in the area as well.
North shore of Lake Superior ... lake superior agates, beautiful area, did not find as much
Amethyst mine panorama, thunder bay Canada ... very nice, lots of amethyst everywhere in the tailings, just up the road from north shore area.

look into some places on the shores of lake superior and there should be those beautiful lake superior agates, and some copper ore and related minerals/gems in the copper mining. especially in the UP

go find some beauties and post the pics for all of us to see!

hope this helps, happy hunting
Rumblebelly

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acedes

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Diamond crater is definitely on my list to visit. I live on the border of Illinois so the UP and Lake Superior are just as far as KY or other areas with gems:).

Upvote 0

rdawg14

Aug 13, 2012
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you make it all the way to NY, I definitely suggest checking out Herkimer and Montgomery counties! There is a few pay to dig sites where you can dig for herkimer diamonds!! Its one of the few places in the world you can find naturally double terminated quartz and they are amazing! Doesn't take any experience to find them. I believe you can find garnets in upstate NY as well. Not positive though. photo 3.JPG photo 5.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acedes

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to plan a trip to NY. I'm from Long Island so a vacation to ny would be more than just a mining trip

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread