Pebble Identification

Kal1nikta

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Greece
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all, I am a new member, and live in Ikaria, Greece. We have a lot of colorful, beautiful stones and pebbles here, and I am wanting to find out what they are, if I can. Can someone take a look at the two sets of pebbles below and let me know if they know what they are.

The first set are really striking, but I have no idea what they could be:

mustard 1.jpg mustard 2.jpg mustard 3.jpg

The second set are an opaque white colour, they are grainy in structure and have some cracks inside them:

SAM_3550.JPG SAM_3551.JPG SAM_3552.JPG

Any insight would be brilliant, there are so many stones here I need to identify!

Thanks in advance

Nik

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
The first set appears to be sandstone. The second appears to be Quartz. Looks like they've been deposited into gentle waters to form like that.

Welcome to TN! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kal1nikta

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Greece
Primary Interest:
Hi Burntbear, thanks for your reply, the waters here are calm in the summer and rough in the winter, I had an idea the whites might be quartz, there is a lot of good quality tumbled quartz here on the beaches.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Your country has some amazing minerals; a beautiful country as well. I hope you get a chance to show us some of your native stones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kal1nikta

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Greece
Primary Interest:
Yes, so I have been finding out over the last few months! I have a small workshop by my local beach, and the stones on this beach, and another close by are unbelievable, so many vibrant colors, rich yellows, oranges, pinks, purples, I am trying to get an idea of what they all are. I know that some of them are coming down from the cliffs because they are embedded in the mud in the cliff wall. They then get tumbled into the smooth pebbles I keep finding!

Here are some more:

multi.jpg brown.jpg multi 2.jpg

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kalnikta,

If you haven't already thought of the idea it might be worth considering getting some equipment to polish those stones and make some nice pendants....I good way to make some extra money.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kal1nikta

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Greece
Primary Interest:
Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. Yes I do make pendants from the stones, but I do not currently have a tumbler, or a bench grinder. It is something I am going to do next year I think. Currently I drill the stones and use ice resin to bring out the shine, it works for now!

I love the idea of tumbling or grinding these stones, I know the results will be amazing, but there is also a natural beauty to them when they are left in their natural shape, just some ice resin to bring out the colours.

Fascinating!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread