Orange Whatever ? Scratches Like Hard Plastic?

Antje

Apr 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Orange ' Whatever ' ? Scratches Like Hard Plastic?

Found this yesterday on the little island formed by a split in the creek, mostly buried. It's SO odd- feels like hard, slippery ' stuff ', 2 sides are completely like that, a round piece and one of the long pieces, the other sides are less ' plasticy.' It's just not ' rock'- no idea what it might be. Jasper?

f new orange1.jpg f new orange2.jpg f new orange3.jpg f new orange4.jpg f new orange5.jpg

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's rock. Some look very organic- just like that. I have crystals I'm cleaning now that have 'bases' like that. Makes you wonder.... But it all happened a loooong time ago. And organic action has a LOT to do with it.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd just call it quartzite. There is some crystallization to it, see the seam in the last picture, but the material is rather peppered with small pin prick vugs. Not a jasper. The smoothness and plastic feel are just artifacts from natural erosion that have left the surface texture as you describe it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Antje

Apr 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks very much! Very good to have directions to go in and Google searches, very much appreciated. This stuff is so baffling until you get on the right track then it's OHHHHH, thank goodness. Someone KNOWS this rock!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread