yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check out my old post on the quartz I found falling down a hill near a river.... So now, after a number of false starts, I have this:

0507150820.jpg 0507150822.jpg 0507150821.jpg

0507150821a.jpg 0507150844.jpg 0507150845.jpg

One question (now): what's up with the iron-infiltrated crystal? Is that s desired thing or not?

Happy Hunting!!!!!

Attachments

• 0507150917.jpg
    0507150917.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 106

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what's up with that, but think it looks cool. What method worked best for you?

Upvote 0

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice specimen.

That milky white quartz can have gold in it. Iron is one of the indicator minerals.

A prospector would look for this kind of quartz. (In my limited opinion)

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cleaned up real nice! What intrigues me is that the amethyst found at Thunder Bay is said to be due to iron (much of the darkest crystals in a group will show hints of red or be all out red like that one crystal), yet your quartz is infused with iron yet no hint of purple? My gut says the amethyst I mentioned would have been near radioactive minerals in addition to the iron where perhaps your crystals were not. It is also interesting in itself that just that one crystal shows it. It had to be the odd one. So many factors in geology seems like anything is possible. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
check out my old post on the quartz I found falling down a hill near a river.... So now, after a number of false starts, I have this:

Get up that hill,theres a pocket up there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all-
Yep, that red one is a head-scratcher. It's like a cloud of red in there and not all solid. Who knows...
Muriatic acid was a big fat waste of time and (luckily not too much) money. Oxalic acid, as recommended by Rasputin, was the thing. But I did have to soak them for ever and scrub and pick to get as much of the clay out as I could. Many of the crystals are busted up from tumbling down the hill. Some are internally shattered due to whatever happened in their life as a growing mass of crystals, I suppose. I'm no geologist, but can imagine that river below doing some incredible damage, land moving, rocks/boulders crashing around, trees uprooted and careening down-river during any number of floods over many, many years.
Although I'm aware that quartz and gold go hand in hand, I'm not really looking for it and don't have the equipment or inclination to seek it out- especially if it's a matter of crushing. That said, if I find a nice nugget or gold-streaked quartz specimen, I wouldn't leave it behind ;) Several times I've thought I was seeing just that- on a chunk of quartz. Ended up being red Virginia dirt... or rusty quartz.
Unfortunately, 'up that hill' is beyond my permission. That's okay though. I found out something really interesting while finding these. A little philosophical musing you might say.
I'm amazed and grateful (and blown away) having found these 'rocks'. I've gained a huge amount of respect for those who do this (or dentistry!) for a living. I got some great exercise, I learned a bunch of things I never knew (or even considered) and got to play with dangerous chemicals! Who could ask for more?!

Cheers all, and thanks for reading ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The azalea snuck in (with the bee) by mistake, but he's always welcome!

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, 'up that hill' is beyond my permission. That's okay though. I found out something really interesting while finding these. A little philosophical musing you might say.

Thats a shame,thats where the good stuff could be.I'm not talking about gold.Crystals form in pockets.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a shame,thats where the good stuff could be.I'm not talking about gold.Crystals form in pockets.

Yes they do, and I wish I could, but I can't. What I can do is change location, because the entire area is full of them- of this I'm sure. I first found crystals in the river sand-bar, and that was up-river, so clearly I got some work to do! I'll be in my kayak as soon as I can. I got a plan ;)

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds cleaned up really well Yakker, good on ya :)
Your pulling some nice clusters for sure and that mixed crystal is a big plus. Quartz is funny in that its one of the few minerals that will support other minerals and their crystals inside its structure. More than likely the red bloom inside that crystal is of an iron nature and formed about the same time as the crystal. Due to the quartz clarity the bloom is the impurity that has clouded other crystals in the cluster and it sucked the impurity into its formation leaving the quartz to form transparently around it.

Your may want to get a bigger boat :) Good luck with your plan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds cleaned up really well Yakker, good on ya :)
Your pulling some nice clusters for sure and that mixed crystal is a big plus. Quartz is funny in that its one of the few minerals that will support other minerals and their crystals inside its structure. More than likely the red bloom inside that crystal is of an iron nature and formed about the same time as the crystal. Due to the quartz clarity the bloom is the impurity that has clouded other crystals in the cluster and it sucked the impurity into its formation leaving the quartz to form transparently around it.

Your may want to get a bigger boat :) Good luck with your plan.

Thank you for that info concerning the odd little red guy and therefore the cloudy nature of the cluster(s).

Around these parts they're called 'bateaux'... ;) Should be interesting on the rapids :icon_scratch:

batteau_diagram_standard.jpg

We even have festivals revolving around them!

Batteaux_at_Cartersville_landing.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions