• 20150511_220045.jpg
    20150511_220045.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 124

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool piece. It resembles agate to me. The color is spectacular for a natural stone. I know very little about Hawaiian geology so just my 2c, it will be interesting to hear what others have to say.

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a small dyed geode. Probably from Mexico... a long way from home. Are there any tourist 'gem mining' places in the area? Sometimes companies buy a variety of stones and place them in dirt and let the tourists sift them in flume type arrangement.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bookiebryant

Mar 6, 2015
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This was found on the beach in front of our beach house on the north shore. We went looking for sea glass on the beach when I found it. This piece does not look like any other glass that I found. If it is slag glass would it crystallize in the center as in the first picture? I assumed it to be a small geode myself but not sure. The research I've done on the islands as far as minerals or gems lava rock, black coral. Also there is no mines as far as I know on the island. But who knows could have traveled many miles away from its home in the Pacific.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Appears to be a dyed Agate/Geode for sure. Chalcedony (Agate) does occur in blue but they usually aren't that saturated by any means. Some of the most exceptional blue Chalcedony varieties are from the Pacific Northwest and Kenya has amazing specimens as well.

Upvote 0

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do a google image search for 'dyed blue geode'. You will find out what we are talking about.
I think the Blue is just a bit too much Blue for a natural stone.
I like posts like this, you always learn something and sometimes can help other as well.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its and agate/small geode. Natural not dyed. Yes blue agate does occur :) I have a 10lb chunk that proves it and yes I've been accused of dying it but the slabs say different. Though its not very common such agates do occasionally form in the magma from volcanic events when there is a fair amount of mineralized water mixed in. If it was a tourist piece it'd not look like that at all. Dyed agates with that much internal fracturing would display the dye thru the cracks around the individual crystals.
Looks to be a second mineral inside, or sand grains, but they seem to have structure similar to a zeolite and if so this also lends to volcanic origin.
My thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bookiebryant

Mar 6, 2015
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank You all for the input and yes that is a piece of sand grain inside as well. IF I can find any other info ill be sure to let yall know.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agate and Geodes.png
Almost forgot this picture. The blue agate second top left was given to me by a geologist and is from a lava event though I don't remember where. Been 30 or so years since we spoke then... one of a few individuals who helped spark me in my childhood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread