Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegmatite's are usually feldspar material with some quartz, mica and a host of other minerals. The digging in pegmatite threads are a good example of what is typical for pegamatite bodies.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we've got the quartz, mica and feldspar. Problem is we're right in the middle of the woods and hard to get an overview of the lay of the land. Will try and get some pictures up this weekend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Correct me if I am wrong, but won't trees and shrubs grow on pegmatite .... but sometimes you can see that there is a geologic change overtop by a change of vegetation? Especially interesting is a line of trees (eg beech) would be a possible fault and a circle pegmatite.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trees don't grow on massive, unharmed pegmatite. It can though grow in cracks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are right in the middle of the woods. We have quartz, mica, ffeldspar, some black rocks I think are manganese maybe. And a lot of color. White, blue, pink, red, yellow, green, brown, black. Sometimes all in the same rock. It's a puzzle for sure.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Some have said trees grow taller around pegmatite because of the minerals. I don't know if that's a miner's myth or fact. I thought trees needed the three ingredients nitrogen, phosphorus, special K. Of course if you saw my garden you'd know I don't how to grow anything but cactus.

There are good examples on the web.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some types of trees grow especially well if there is underground water and if you can stand back, you can see the line of the underground stream. Many times this follows an ancient stream bed (great for gold) or a fault (good for almost anything). In theory, it is a great indicator of a place to look. In the field, usually more difficult to put into practice (for me anyway). It can also be an area disturbed by a land slide, tree planting, human disturbances/digging, etc.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think trees can grow out of pegmatite.
What makes you think trees can't grow out of a pegmatite? I have pics of a pegmatite that was under a tree's root system, where after it was knocked over by the wind. I dug and found very large smokey quartz and fedlspar crystals. Check out some of my links.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/421302-starry-night-crystal-pocket.html. (sorry don't know other way to "link" it, as I am a little computer illiterate...) The pegmatites I hunt for crystals on are covered with trees, unless I don't get your meaning...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread