• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    686.1 KB · Views: 84

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are pieces of a chalcedony nodule. A geode is simply a nodule that didn't fill in completely....thus a hollow area in the center. Occasionally, you will find a nodule, and if you cut it down the center, it will actually be a geode. I've found nodules as much as 5" in diameter, with no flaws...just solid chalcedony quartz.
Jim

Upvote 0

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
They are pieces of a chalcedony nodule. A geode is simply a nodule that didn't fill in completely....thus a hollow area in the center. Occasionally, you will find a nodule, and if you cut it down the center, it will actually be a geode. I've found nodules as much as 5" in diameter, with no flaws...just solid chalcedony quartz.
Jim

Thanks Jim for the explanation

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pennypete

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
Northeast Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I really appreciate the information. I'll keep looking for more and hopefully find a real geode. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're welcome, Pete. if you keep looking in the area where you found it, there may be some geodes around. Or, maybe some complete nodules, which are pretty cool. The nodules are camouflaged...the outside resembles the grain of the country rock they formed in. In some places, the chalcedony quartz will glow under a UV light, too....usually a short-wave light, and often a chartreuse green from the presence of uranium in the quartz.
Jim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread