Pleae help ID this mineral (i guess)

DutchGuy

Aug 15, 2015
IJlst, Fryslân
Primary Interest:
Other
Please help ID these minerals

Hi all,

Can you help me identify these two? The first one I got it from a friend of mine. He also didn't know what it was, so gave it to me...
All i know: its large (30*25*30 cm) green(ish) and looks a bit like coral, with all the branches etc.

11823135_471635556345002_2654670622630631340_o.jpg

The other one i found in Scotland in 2007. Is it pegmatite, and if so, can you tell me the composition?
2015-08-15 11.02.02.jpg 2015-08-15 11.02.56.jpg

Last edited:

MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the one picture of the one on the bottom it almost looks like a really clean geode but I'm not sure. I'm not sure of the first one also sorry but if you say it branches off I would invest in a rocks & minerals book to help or look online.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DutchGuy

Aug 15, 2015
IJlst, Fryslân
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. The book is already in at hand, but doesnt show anything even slightly resembling the rock on the first picture. The second one: could be a geode, but dont think so. As said: ive found it on the shoreline in Scotland. Wouldnt expect the outer shell to be completely washed away. Furthermore: there is quite a lot of mica to be seen, and (as i understand) that is a good indication for pegmatite(?)

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Yes that is a good example of a pegmatite
Go find the vein where that came from. Lots of good things to be found there.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First looks like a calcite. Second is quartz & mica, a pegmatite. I have loads of that stuff from the Himalaya mine out here in Cali.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any further details on #1? Where did it come from? Ask your friend. It'd be a shame to do hardness tests and the like on it.

#2 is quartz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DutchGuy

Aug 15, 2015
IJlst, Fryslân
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I don't know where it originated. Might have been eastern Europe (chech/slovakia) since I know the family it came from went on holiday there a lot. I once put a small broken off piece in water and it didn't dissolve, so I guess it isn calcite or some other dissolving mineral.

Upvote 0

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one looks like a cave formation, like Aragonite and or calcite. The second one looks like quartz with ore, possibly from a gold mine.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread