Round gray rock ID please

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what type of stone this is and is it normal for it to be shaped this way? I found it in a creek on my property where I have found tons of Native American artifacts, crockery and old bottles and glass. What are the odds the Native Americans would use it for something?

Thanks for looking!

WP_20150819_001.jpg WP_20150819_002.jpg WP_20150819_003.jpg WP_20150819_004.jpg

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The brown is an iron stain, likely from mineralization from within the stone or one it was sitting against. Pretty small rock to be a native tool, but I have seen some similar items for sale - Google "native American grinding tools". I don't know if this stuff is positive thinking or really was an ancient tool.

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_3982.jpg This is the type of small game stone I was talking about and yours look similar. In this thread the stone looks like it has a green tint to it. It could be what we call greenstone and the N. A. s most likely brought it there.

Upvote 0

weasel1000

Oct 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
i'm only just seeing this pic now. i have definitely found objects similar to this, and found that they are little baby pestles. that's in MY case. And, yes, some of the native tools can be and are small.
in my case, the area where the fingers grip is quite shiny, the bottom of the piece is a bit concave and also worn shiny. Mind you, i couldn't see the shine too well until i rubbed the object on my pant leg to knock loose the moss, dust, etc, and then the gloss was apparent and undeniable -- as it is only on the used areas. I just hope you don't give up on things like this --- feeling that they're meaningless.
I've definitely had the experience where i thought i had just a rock, but went home and examined the thing in depth, with magnification, and etc, and came to a way different conclusion. wish i knew what you think about the object at this point.... did you chuck it ?

Upvote 0

weasel1000

Oct 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
but, sorry, i'm not a geologist and can't say what the type of rock is. wish i knew. did you find out ?

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i find those from time to time, in my case they are kiln fired "brick" pieces, not native made, and i am not sure of the purpose, but they are not all that uncommon.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a cool little game piece imo peaches kinda like the one I found early this year but mine is flatter.

Attachments

• SDC11075.JPG
    SDC11075.JPG
    687.7 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Diabase is likely what its made of.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a cool little game piece imo peaches kinda like the one I found early this year but mine is flatter.

I took it to Archeology Day last January and David Moore said it was a game piece but he didn't know the stone type. He showed me some made out of pottery that was pretty cool too. He really liked it and I hope I can find more of them. I like the one you found too rock.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Eu_citzen for the stone type ID, now I know what it's made of and I wonder if it's local to the area or some traded stone. I know granite is NC's official stone so maybe it's similar. I wish I knew more about stones. Thanks again!

No problem. Not being familar the local geology, I'd ask at a local rock club. Or look up geology maps (tricky for a newbie), perhaps ask the USGS on an e-mail?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread