How to clean this quartz

pd-c

Sep 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody

I found this quartz and I would like to know how to clean it! Can you help me?

IMG_20150920_121937248.jpg IMG_20150920_121957802.jpg IMG_20150920_122018664.jpg

Thank's in advance!

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxalic acid for starters, but I don't think those can be cleaned. Seems the bumpy surface is part of the crystals.

Upvote 0

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those are in fact iron stains, I recommend on oxalic acid powder called Barkeepers Friend. You can get a big ol' can of it for a couple dollars from your local grocery store. All you'll need to do is mix the powder with a bit of water to make a paste and go to work with a hard-bristled toothbrush. Beautiful specimen, by the way!

Upvote 0

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second a good soaking with iron out

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If those are in fact iron stains, I recommend on oxalic acid powder called Barkeepers Friend. You can get a big ol' can of it for a couple dollars from your local grocery store. All you'll need to do is mix the powder with a bit of water to make a paste and go to work with a hard-bristled toothbrush. Beautiful specimen, by the way!
PLEASE use goggles when doing this method! TTC

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got a 2 lb bag of 99% oxalic acid off the Bay for $15. Should only have to use about a 1/4-1/2 lb to mix with a gallon or two of hot water to soak that baby in. If it's iron, two days of soak time should strip most of it off

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pd-c

Sep 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, thanks’ for all the tips...
I started the cleaning of my crystal last Wednesday. I put the crystal under water and since that and I have some result’s has you can see in the following pictures. I used a toothbrush to get rid of that dust…but I can’t reach everyplace.
I have some doubts:
1) Can I continue put the crystal under water, without damage it?
2) How can I remove the rest of dirt (that is inaccessible to clean with the toothbrush?
3) The Brown/Yellow colour is the iron that I can only remove with the acids?

IMG_20150927_150440880.jpg IMG_20150927_150451343.jpg IMG_20150927_150502891.jpg IMG_20150927_150510183.jpg

Upvote 0

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
you can also use coca-cola , I have a friend that uses it ,he just puts the specimen in a container and covers it with coke andlets it soak for a few days checks it iut and puts it back in if he needs to.
ksmith

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have some nice pieces. The first thing to try is water and dishsoap and the tooth brush. Soaking won't hurt anything. Even a mild acid or other cleaner might cause a problem. You can try various solutions in a small spot to see what might help to remove iron or other staining. Coke, vinegar, iron out, etc might be helpful, depending on what is undesirable. Keep an eye on it and if you can when soaking in anything but water; try a small bottom section first that won't matter as much. I have damaged some nice specimens by being impatient with strong cleaners. Good luck with it.

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this isn't just a one time thing for you, An ultrasonic cleaner even a cheap one from Harbor Freight will save you a lot of work & wrinkled fingers! Oxalic acid as others have mentioned in an ultrasonic cleaner will do wonders. Also, if you opt for a better model than the HF ones, you'll find a lot of uses for it from cleaning carb parts to jewelry. The better ones seem a bit pricey, but when you factor in the results and work / time saved it'll be your favorite cleaning tool!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Warm water and tooth brush is the first step.

Oxalic acid OR Iron out the next step.
Don't mix oxalic to a paste, but a watery solution. So it gets into every spot. Use appropriate gloves and protective clothing when handling acids!

Sandblasting, in the rare extreme case, can help. But usually I'd not recommend that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread