Help identify material of sharpening stone

kcb5150

Sep 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious if you guys have any idea what this material specifically is. These are sold commercially as a final polishing stone for razor blades and fine instruments. It's not novaculite. The best way to describe the way it feels is like incredibly hard, waxy glass covered in a fine layer of corn starch. I thought it may be some form of jasper. These come from Arizona in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for your help.-Keith

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved%20Images_kv8Usxi.jpg

212767d1442714341-apache-black-gila-wp_20150919_21_52_32_pro.jpg

xe2rkhr.jpg

ySMa8jU.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe quartzite?
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kcb5150

Sep 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nonporous, quite a good stone in its intended capacity. I think specific gravity would be the best way to grade this stuff, but it is considerably more refined of a result than a 12000 grit edge. Was curious because usually when you get into stones this hard, feel goes out the window most of the time and you just feel like you are skating over the stone while this is not that way. It feels like a translucent Arkansas or surgical black in use but the behavior is different. Thank you for your input. I actually have many famous vintage hones that the quarries have been lost to time.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure, but i do notice the concoidal chips out of the edge, which makes me think jasper.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kcb5150

Sep 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been lapping it in bits because I wanted to get some scratches out from the initial cutting that their own lapping didn't fully delete since a stone this hard can scar a bevel something horrible with surface irregularities. It is completely true, thankfully, but brutally hard. The only thing it doesn't shrug off is silicon carbide.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one just like it somewhere around the house that I obtained many years ago at Jim Coleman's Quartz Mine and Shop. They appear as almost pure true Flint but are more than likely a grey/gray Onyx.

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread