MOTHERLODE!!!

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all! Just when I thought the good ol' smoky pocket couldn't get any better, these monster clusters popped out! The pocket (wall) cluster of smoky quartz in the first 3 pics weighs 17lbs and the giant point cluster weighs right around 20lbs. I was in absolute shock when I saw these guys pop out of the dirt! Hope y'all enjoy checking them out as much as I enjoyed finding them!

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpg
    IMG_2438.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2458.jpg
    IMG_2458.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 211

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you ever need free labor to help out with the grunt work,,PLEASE pick me. I will wear a blindfold, leave my phone at home, so I will never know where it is. I just want to see it come out of the ground. The biggest "pocket" I ever found was about the size of 2 fists, which fell apart as it dried. Well, congrats on your hole, I turn green every time I see your pics.

Upvote 0

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find, keep us posted! Looks like you're keeping damage to a minimum, nice work. Looks like you'll have enough to rent a table at a mineral show and make a bit of money!

Upvote 0

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exciting! Is it possible to see what the other side looks like? How do you go about finding things like that? I find very small versions in my yard but I'm wondering if there are bigger ones somewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DCMetal. Here is what the other side looks like. This was a bit of a strange specimen in this particular vug. The plate is 2 sided and came out split down the middle. This cluster of big smoky quartz points fits perfectly onto the backside of the plate. When it comes finding this kind of stuff, it all comes down to finding the right location. You really want to find an area that has very high mineralization (as in...lots of quartz, mica etc.). Once you find a small area that is highly concentrated is something like quartz (clear or smoky), start digging! You might just stumble upon a pocket!

Attachments

• IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Upvote 0

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DCMetal. Here is what the other side looks like. This was a bit of a strange specimen in this particular vug. The plate is 2 sided and came out split down the middle. This cluster of big smoky quartz points fits perfectly onto the backside of the plate. When it comes finding this kind of stuff, it all comes down to finding the right location. You really want to find an area that has very high mineralization (as in...lots of quartz, mica etc.). Once you find a small area that is highly concentrated is something like quartz (clear or smoky), start digging! You might just stumble upon a pocket!

Your find inspired me today so I went out to my yard, which is highly mineralized and there's loads of mica. Here's what I found. I'm assuming it's quartz but have no clue. Any ideas?
IMG_7753.jpg IMG_7754.jpg IMG_7755.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! That is a nice little mix of milky and smoky quartz. If you find any more material like that you've got a good chance that there's gonna be a pocket around there somewhere. This looks exactly like the material that made up the "capstone" of the pocket where my material came from. One question. In the second picture, will the dirty looking material on top of the rock scrub off of the stone or does it seem to be attached? If it is attached it undoubtedly came from a pocket--that brownish looking material would be where the rock was attached to the wall of the pocket.

Upvote 0

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! That is a nice little mix of milky and smoky quartz. If you find any more material like that you've got a good chance that there's gonna be a pocket around there somewhere. This looks exactly like the material that made up the "capstone" of the pocket where my material came from. One question. In the second picture, will the dirty looking material on top of the rock scrub off of the stone or does it seem to be attached? If it is attached it undoubtedly came from a pocket--that brownish looking material would be where the rock was attached to the wall of the pocket.

Thanks for writing back. The dirt does not come off so I guess I'll start digging. : ) I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is awesome! Good luck and happy hunting! Definitely keep me posted.

Upvote 0

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice guys very nice. I love quartz in a colors. I hope to hit my cut out tomorrow and see if I can't get some nice ones out. Keep on posting those sweet pictures.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread