What happened HERE?

B

BeccaRah

Can anyone tell me what happened here? That sharp rock on top is the size of an ottoman.

I call the sharp, sliced looking rock the "love seat" because it's cut into a nearly perfect sofa for two.
Can anyone explain these super-awesome natural anomalies? I'd love to hear it.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest (based on the fact that the relatively large and considerably old tree has grown into and around the top rock) that glaciation lifted the fractured boulder off of it's parent rock, and deposited it a small distance away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BeccaRah

I'm just starting to understand glaciers are capable of creating baffling tricks and feats of strength. What I love about this "ottoman" is the cracked eggshell-type of rock that it's sitting on. And those two are sitting on a mother rock under THAT. It's eggshell... Love it. Maybe the Ant can explain this one to me...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BeccaRah

Those rocks are moved and rearranged by the environment, wind, ice, erosion, plants, trees, vegetation, earthquakes, etc, and humans and animals. Take a look at this link, the sailing rocks of Death Valley solved:

Mystery of Death Valley's 'Sailing Stones' Solved | Moving Rocks
Ah ok.
A. I want to go there
B. I'm going to do that experiment
C. "People always ask, 'What do you think causes them to move?' But if you try to explain, they don't always want to hear the answers," van Valkenburg said. "People like a mystery — they like an unanswered question."
My personal approach is to have fun and be as imaginative as I can in creating a scenario in my mind answering "What is this? What happened here (excluding aliens or divinity), then work backwards to the limit of what realistically can be explained with the info at hand. Without the imagination and creative thinking, where's the fun in mystery"?

Thanks for the article.
See my quote. I agree that some people don't want answers. Of course a real answer explained by physics, environment, or nature (science) is so much more amazing to me... So much more dazzling. The answers come harder and I appreciate that more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BeccaRah

And oh yeah. I hope you didn't think think I was saying that was an actual eggshell (goodness).

And are you saying that what happened to the Death Valley rocks is related to this pile? Or are you saying that I'm just not going to get answers sometimes when I'm looking at a pile of rocks? Your answer is a little mysterious ;)

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glaciers carved Yosemite and there is nothing like it on earth. Glaciers are indeed magnificent sculptors.
IMG_0007.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BeccaRah

Thank you Mr. Lee! Yosemite has been on my bucket list for quite some time. How amazing (sigh)
So I just did a Google image search for "balanced rocks deposited by glaciers". I'll defer to this from now on in order to"right-size" my awe of my rocks in the woods... But I feel so lucky to know they're there, walking by them all the time. My secret cache of glacially balanced, carved and split rocks, all in one spot.

One example from my image search:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread