willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is not Coastal plain chert, Rhyolite or Quartz I just pick it up because it is pretty for the rock tumbler and don't worry what is.

Upvote 0

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me... a matter of seconds.... I don't "identify" every rock I pick up. Its pretty basic, just takes some expierience, gotta go out and do it... take the interesting ones home, if you don't know what they are find out then.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
*When prospecting* I do collect rock chips and ID them all, to make a basic (geological) map. (and also to my notes)
It may take everything from a minute up to several hours; depending on how many chips/rocks I did bring back.

When rockhounding, a couple of seconds or minutes. Usually because that ends up being just a few rocks.

Upvote 0

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seconds to years. With enough time and study, identifying minerals becomes very simple, at least for the common stuff. When you start collecting the unusual stuff, then you need to understand crystallography and other important properties, then you get into lab testing, $10-$40 a pop.

Identifying rocks and fossils is much the same, but to actually be able to put a proper name on a rock, or identify the exact species of fossil, you may have to make a thin section and view it under a polarizing microscope, comparing it to known images.

The key to getting good is buying books, so you know exactly what is found in your area, and then just spending thousands of hours actually studying rocks and minerals. Millions of hours of research work has already been done for you, all you have to do is find the right reference.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread