diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going through some of my rocks and such that I've picked up over the years and came across this one. It has an Octahedron shape. It does have damages, especially on one point. Each equilateral triangle measures 5/8". It is warm to the touch. Don't even know where I got it to be honest. Low grade natural Diamond?

DSC03946.JPG
DSC03945.JPG
DSC03941.JPG

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be though I think there is another type of crystal that grows in that shape. You should be able to get it tested at nearly any Pawn or jewelry store.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking not....mainly because you can see the background right through the stone. Try sliding it over some lines on a piece of paper. if you can see the lines through the stone as it slides, it's not diamond. There are other stones that form octahedrons, too.
Jim

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably fluorite. Will it scratch glass? If not, it's fluorite most likely.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Put it over top of a piece of paper with heavy block lettering on it (so you don't have to strain to see it). If it shows up like normal, it's not a diamond. Diamonds have double refraction aka double vision. Looks like this one is single.

I have a piece of white topaz aka goshenite that looks identical to your piece there except mine is broken to where only three sides of one of the four sided pieces are still intact. Mine even has a little inclusion exactly like yours lol (the yellow chunk in there.

Dollar to donuts it's white topaz. Very nice piece tho!

Oh yeah, topaz is an 8 hardness. You can test it against quartz (7), and its streak is white. I buffed the edges (with SiC) to get rid of the rough spots and when I washed it off, it looked like milk in my water bowl.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. It doesn't scratch glass. I should have checked that before I posted. No greasy feel to it. I can read through it on the paper test. I scratched one face with a piece of quartz, so I will assume that it if fluorite versus Topaz. Time to put this one to bed I think. Thanks for all the replies.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread