Rock tumbler polishing and burnishing - can you do it at the same time?

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have attempted to burnish in the fine polishing stage and the results have been questionable. I guess I need to experiment more, but wonder if anybody else has tried this? ie. add the proper amount of polish compound PLUS ivory soap and perhaps sugar and baking soda. It sure makes a thick slurry, helping to keep the rocks from breaking. I suspect that doing it separate would yield better results or I would still need to burnish anyway.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant help my final stage is polish for hard stones Aluminum oxide and it gives as good a finidh as I want.

Upvote 0

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My final stage is burnish....polish is next to last. That's how I do it with petrified wood anyway.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experiment (just finished), I did aluminum oxide with soap and backing soda for a week. It came out pretty good. But....6 hours more with just soap and water was a marginal improvement. So I conclude from this one run, that you need to do each separately, but putting some soap into the polish stage does not hurt. ie. burnishing alone makes them nicer. Rock tumbling sure teaches a fellow patience.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread