Identify Stone Please?

Revosok

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock half buried in the ground when I went to Mexico (near Cancun). I was near the ocean at that time, but the location of it did seem a bit strange (it was about a quarter of a mile away from the beach). I polished it once I got home, and I believe that it is agate. It is about ~2 x 1/2 inches.
(sorry for the fish in the photo, my camera is dead and I already had a photo on my computer, so I just used it)

Attachments

• agate.gif
    agate.gif
    80.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some banded calcite that looks almost exactly like that, but I will bet it is agate. Hard to tell from the pic.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Revosok

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story. Just several seconds ago, I was looking up agates on the internet, and on the first page I saw a link for an old quarry in Connecticut. I clicked on it, and it turns out that it was in my county. I then clicked on the map, and it turns out that it is in my town. I then zoomed in and guess what, it turns out that it is walking distance from my house. I guess I have to visit it some time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Revosok

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My specimen does not have the small crystals that I saw in the pictures of banded calcite that I saw. The transition from one band to another is abrupt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Revosok

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for triple posting, but the only reason I have any doubt that this is an agate is because of its dark colors. After searching the internet, I was not able to find any agates with the colors: darkbrown/lightbrown/gray/white. So, based on this information can anyone confirm that this is an agate, or would you need better photos?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Revosok

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this, I don't think that odds are in my favor right now.

Attachments

• not agate.gif
    not agate.gif
    258.4 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agates come in pretty much all colors. Calcites dont polish well so odds are its an agate. Agate and other silicate stones are pretty durable and can travel along way from their sources. Many beaches in the world have them as do many water ways and glacial deposits the trick is finding them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions