Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks opalized. A hardness test would help as well as a streak test. Most likely the material formed in a vug of some very soft material and thats what gives it its shape. The interior is somewhat crystalline towards the core and it may have formed much like an agate however its not agate. Interesting find.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hvacker, Its possible. Looking at it in that frame of mind its more probable than my own initial thought as I keyed on the coloration around the edges... kinda foolish of me as opal does not lend to crystallization like that :tongue3:. There is no real layering that I can decern however the larger part if broken might have it. Pretty massive formation of crystals so maybe its just a compacted vug.

Upvote 0

Backcountry

Jan 8, 2016
Bon Echo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also thinking along the lines of an amethyst geode. But due to the strange shape, maybe more like a nodule as opposed to geode. It's pretty cool in any case. While the core is most interesting to look at, the surface is pretty neat too, almost looks like it's been carved. Not to get too woo-woo, but it could have some interesting metaphysical properties if you were inclined to that kinda thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KF5

Greenie
Feb 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We didn't even notice the core until we got home & unloaded our finds. The reasons we kept it were the 1) the interesting shape nything we ha& 2) the carved look the surface had. Definitely different than anything we have found before.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its definitely a neat piece. Wonder if the exterior could be treated to clean it up. Might show some interesting color. Cutting will probably bust it up but careful polishing on one side or a small area might be feasible.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see any need to break it further as the one section pretty well shows crystline formation. Chert and flint dont show that or those colors.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions