Another set of eyes?

PistolePeteID

Greenie
Dec 19, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi there, once again I would love some help in identifying this piece.... I've also thrown in a quick field test for future references for our friends or there....
1. Color- Black
2. Steak- clear
3. Luster- waxy/ semi metallic... I.E. in a deep magnified look there's apparently colors, greens, reds.
4.transparancy- opaque
5. specific gravity- no scale
6. Crystal habit- ???? None I can see
7. Magnetism- non magnetic
8. Hardness- 7+ IMG_20160221_120716.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a tricky one. Tourmaline? Staurolite?

Where was it found, roughly? Maybe someone with a better local knowledge can give off better guesses.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PistolePeteID

Greenie
Dec 19, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks EU.... I found it in southern Idaho... I believe it's on the edged of the cassia batholith... The address in working in is on a ancient Creek..... There all sorts of Jasper of all sorts of colors, even the elusive zebra patterns... Red Jasper agates, would there be onyx in this sort of area, and with the hardness is there a possibility of topaz?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more towards tourmaline as the colors are indicative of it. As to alluvial topaz who knows but it's easy *well relatively* enough to screen or pan for if you've water available. Idaho is good for alot of minerals. Snake river basin is one area I've picked up some nice stuff while panning for gold.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PistolePeteID

Greenie
Dec 19, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks D, I actually live in the snake basin.... South central... By the pomerelle ski resort and independence Mt....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread