Help with identifying plz

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457557828.421399.jpg
Picture one, I'm curious on what causes the melting bubbly look in the white rock , lower left.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457557910.227213.jpg
Second picture. The rough pinkish stone on right side. Could it possibly be bone? Very porous , not extremely light , not heavy. I've never seen something like that before. Also the deep red stone at the top, would that be considered jasper?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457558065.019654.jpg
Third picture. The green rocks?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was curious after you posted these to know as well. I think the green rocks are serpentine but that's just a guess from what I can see in the pics really. Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will chime in.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to have to get closer on the first one. The red one in the second set is most likely a jasper. The porous one you feel might be bone is probably a large piece of shell worn down. Alex has the right idea for the green stones~ various serpentines. Overall looks like you've been busy :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank y'all. I have collected so many since moving to Illinois. I go at least once a week to the beach and can't help but bring back a couple of pockets full of rocks. Many fossils, a lot of pyrite , and plenty of assorted rocks.
I just don't know what to do with them all. I wash them as soon as we get home and spend days pondering what they are. Then they go in to my basement closet.
I'm interested in polishing with a dremel. And perhaps trying to sell on Etsy. I just don't know yet.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavy Pockets to ya Penny :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Purchased a dremel and attempting to learn the different tips and polishing techniques.

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bubbly white one is chalcedony - isn't it fun? Kinda a waxy feel. I've taken my first lapidary class and it is a blast cutting and polishing rocks you have found yourself. See if there is a rock/gem club near you that teaches, or goes on field trips.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions