Black cubic, shiny ?

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20160315_1356121_rewind.jpg not sure what this one is either. Thanks you all for your help IMG_20160315_1356367_rewind.jpg

Last edited:

MartyRocks

Dec 12, 2015
Nevada desert
Detector(s) used
None yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Nevada, as well as many states here in the desert southwest, can have native rocks get this black coating that takes up to 2,000 years to form on the host rock.
For example, here in the Las Vegas area, we have two parks that have sandstone that has the desert varnish on them.
The native Americans would then carve drawings unto these rocks with desert varnish which we call petroglyphs.
If you look up petroglyphs you will see what I'm telling you.

Upvote 0

MartyRocks

Dec 12, 2015
Nevada desert
Detector(s) used
None yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, I don't know where these rocks are from as they didn't mention it, but they look like what I have found out here in the desert.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty Rocks,
I researched desert varnish. Desert varnish is manganese Oxide (MnO). I mentioned it on my original message.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brown is a coating not the black. I live in southwest Virginia, no desert. Black is not a coating. I suspect brown/tan is calcite.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sherman,
I live in North Carolina from Kentucky originally. I'm a huge rockhounder. I find coatings of manganese stained rocks and minerals in every stream I have ever hunted.
Yes! You might be right. It could be tan to brown calcite. I'm not saying it isn't. All I'm saying is that the black substance on the surface is a coating. And that coating is MnO. You can test for calcite by exposing a clean surface, powder just a very small amount and pour some vinegar over it. If it fizzes, then you definitely have calcite.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions