2 pyrite specimens

Lapin911

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all my first post. I am an avid metal detector enthusiast but I also enjoy anything geological. As such here are 2 pyrite specimens I found while walking the dog last week. (I think one might be arsenopyrite) is there a way to test this without poisoning myself.:icon_scratch:

20160330_171256.jpg

20160404_184050.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple test for arsenopyrite, it wont kill ya ;), is to just scratch the material as you would for a streak test on a piece of clean porcelain then sniff it. Smells like garlic or old fireworks, sulfur, then you have a positive id. Other than that its pretty harmless. Some specimens of the material are very reactive with water and air but yours looks stable.
As to the second pyrite its marcasite. Keep an eye out where you found it as it can form some very interesting specimens.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lapin911

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple test for arsenopyrite, it wont kill ya ;), is to just scratch the material as you would for a streak test on a piece of clean porcelain then sniff it. Smells like garlic or old fireworks, sulfur, then you have a positive id. Other than that its pretty harmless. Some specimens of the material are very reactive with water and air but yours looks stable.
As to the second pyrite its marcasite. Keep an eye out where you found it as it can form some very interesting specimens.

Does it have to be pure porcelain? As in, no glazing on top? Or would a porcelain floor tile work?

I will have another look in the area I found the marcasite to see if I can spot anything else.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The glazing will prevent a scratch, this it won't work. :)

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As he said, non-glazed porcelain (like the back of some tiles) to do a streak test. In a pinch I have used the bottom of the toilet lid. :)

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to any decent hardware store and get a floor tile. Use the back.

Upvote 0

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom of a few of my coffee cups have come in handy for the scratch test.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) What they said but finish your coffee first before upending the coffee cup ;)

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As he said, non-glazed porcelain (like the back of some tiles) to do a streak test. In a pinch I have used the bottom of the toilet lid. :)

That is hysterical!!! I'm thinking it could be a skit for Saturday night live!! ( And it's also a good idea!!)

Nice specimens! I like pic #2! Colors are popping out even through the photo!!! Hope you get some more!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread