Layered quartz

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20160316_1511419_rewind.jpg we have a lot of this layered multicolor quartz. Gold, pink,, brown, green. Definitely layered in different colors. Is it a common thing?@

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Long Island it is very common. You can find this pretty much anywhere you look.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on where you are the apparent layering of massive quartz can be pretty common. In areas where alot of geologic folding is apparent, granites are a good example, such layering can be spectacular.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can it be worked? Got some beautiful colors in it. Anything to look for in same area?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly dont know if it can be worked though I have seen sphere's made out of that kind of material. As to what else to look for :) Well that is another vague answer~ just gota get out and look. Quartz of that type is found with alot of different geologies. Sorry no good answers for ya shaman.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you decide to "work" it, my best advise is wear gloves (experience talking). The way quartz fractures, it gets really sharp. I have left blood trails on outcroppings that made it look like there had been a murder. LOL

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you decide to "work" it, my best advise is wear gloves (experience talking). The way quartz fractures, it gets really sharp. I have left blood trails on outcroppings that made it look like there had been a murder. LOL

Are some rocks dangerous to work with I would think I would want a dust mask grinding or working with silica type rocks? I was driving to work the other day and a construction worker was jack hammering in a cloud of dust and I thought I'd rather smoke a cigarette than do that:)

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ought to try flintknapping it, lol! LOADS of blood!!

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That type of Quartz exists all over the world and I believe that it is layered and flaky because it is decomposing. Once contaminants such as Acid Rain and other contaminants get in between the layers and seams, they cause the rock/stone to decompose which also allows more contaminants in as well as other minerals, mold and lichens in.

Frank

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It can be worked, but tends to be rather brittle. Best suited for cabochons in pendants. Those are not likely to be hammered into something. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread