River rock agate

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been adding river rock in an area around one of my gardens. Today I decided to wash off some of the new gravel to see if I could find any agates. I was not disappointed with this one. :)

A lot going on with this one. It has nice banding, eyes, tubes and crystal impressions. Sorry about the cat hair on the first pic. :BangHead:

Agate-RiverRock-2016-05-01-Img_0810SSS.jpg

Agate-RiverRock-2016-05-01-Img_0811SSS.jpg

Agate-RiverRock-2016-05-01-Img_0812SSS.jpg

Agate-RiverRock-2016-05-01-Img_0813SSS.jpg

Happy hunting,
Eric

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another one today in the same gravel. Still treating it meanwhile it looks best when back-lit. This one is mostly crystaline quartz but nice and clear and then there are a few layers of mostly red banding. I guess I would call this a lace agate and a floater because it goes agate, quartz, agate, quartz. Not having much time lately to do a true hunt at least I can load up on gravel for days like these. :)

Agate-QuartzyLace-2016-05-02-Img_0824SSS.jpg

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Great eye.
The first agate I ever found was in my drive way. I was about 8 years old.
I showed my mom and she told me it was a moss agate. I never knew why she was so smart.
Years later she had the stone made into cuff links for me. Cuff links were the style at the time.

It's so cool to find things right in front of you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great eye.
The first agate I ever found was in my drive way. I was about 8 years old.
I showed my mom and she told me it was a moss agate. I never knew why she was so smart.
Years later she had the stone made into cuff links for me. Cuff links were the style at the time.

It's so cool to find things right in front of you.

That's awesome. If you still have the cuff links and it's not any trouble I wouldn't mind seeing a pic.

The first agate I found I was around 8 years old too. I found it along a rocky beach on the St. Croix river by my friend's grandma's cabin. It was nice. It was maybe a little over an inch in size and had a very nice banding pattern with a quartz tunnel in the middle and some really interesting colors. Sadly I lost it I suspect with a number of other items I lost when we had things in storage in my teenage years. I still regret not having that one agate and a good number of my agate hunts were an effort to fill that hole by finding a similar agate. Now I have 1000s of agates and none exactly like that one.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
That's awesome. If you still have the cuff links and it's not any trouble I wouldn't mind seeing a pic.

The first agate I found I was around 8 years old too. I found it along a rocky beach on the St. Croix river by my friend's grandma's cabin. It was nice. It was maybe a little over an inch in size and had a very nice banding pattern with a quartz tunnel in the middle and some really interesting colors. Sadly I lost it I suspect with a number of other items I lost when we had things in storage in my teenage years. I still regret not having that one agate and a good number of my agate hunts were an effort to fill that hole by finding a similar agate. Now I have 1000s of agates and none exactly like that one.

Sadly the cuff links were lost during a move along with my dog tags and other things I kept in a jewelry box. Even my wedding ring.
It's strange how some things seem stuck in my mind and I actually miss them.
Like my box o stuff I had as a kid with my arrow heads, Indian head pennies. and all my special stuff I kept in a hidden place.
Lost in time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly the cuff links were lost during a move along with my dog tags and other things I kept in a jewelry box. Even my wedding ring.
It's strange how some things seem stuck in my mind and I actually miss them.
Like my box o stuff I had as a kid with my arrow heads, Indian head pennies. and all my special stuff I kept in a hidden place.
Lost in time.
Sorry to hear that. I know exactly what you mean. You often do not realize when you are a kid how much stuff will mean to you later on in life. I can think of several things I tossed during a move that I wished I had just found a way to make room for but I guess my interests were in other things at the time. I feel pretty lucky that I still have a few really nice rocks and my first coin finds from when I was a kid (though as a young kid I didn't understand why you should not use an eraser to shine up coins, doh!).

Oddly enough I have an arrowhead that I have had since I was real young. For a long while I just figured I found it behind our garage where I used to be allowed to dig big holes, smash rocks and I would find all sorts of interesting old stuff (horseshoes, bottles, old toy guns, railroad spikes, old skeleton keys). Amazing what you could find in that yard. Unfortunately I don't recall finding the point and so to be sure I say I am still working to find my first point even though I may have found one many years ago and maybe it just blended in with all the other cool old stuff I found.

Stuff lost in time. Memories lost in time. I guess that's one reason I like to go out searching and see what else I can find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread