Cutting agate

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462204263.652985.jpg
I believe this is an agate. Either way, I wanted to cut it. When using my dremel rotary tool , there were sparks and brown burn marks left on rock. Is that all part of the process of cutting in to a stone this hard?
I'm still in the learning process and advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank y'all [emoji4]

S

stefen

Best to cut any stone using a constant water bath...try using a tile saw...the water keeps the saw from heating up...besides the blade will most likely by diamond impregnated...

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Penny, never grind stones while dry. The resulting dust can cause irreversible lung damage and harm the stone and your tool. It definitely looks like a nice agate but a dremel isn't the best tool for the job. You don't say where you're from, but many areas have gem and mineral clubs whose members gladly teach beginners proper lapidary techniques and they usually have all the proper tools to teach you with. If no clubs near you try to find a lapidary shop, most lapidaries, myself included love to teach others how to make cabochons on our machines. Dremels usually run at too high speeds for most lapidary work even in a water bath, and you will need diamond tips for you dremel or any other tool for agate, it is hard stuff. Folks do use corundum wheels and tools but diamond cuts faster and better, but still must be used in a water bath. Tile saws with diamond blades will work to cut your agate but a real stone saw with a vice to make perfect parallel cuts is much better. Google lapidary or gem and mineral clubs in your area and hopefully you can find one not too far away and get some hands on help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you . I always wear a respirator mask, full face shield, and always work with wet stones. However, it's not a continuous water source and I think that's the biggest problem.
I'm currently living in East Illinois close to Lake Michigan.
I will look in to local clubs.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Understand when cutting anything you need to use something harder than what you want to cut.
It doesn't matter if it's wood or stone.
Many stones are so hard they will challenge the cutter even a diamond after time.
So in using a diamond wheel with a coolent of at least water and going slow you can cut anything.
I'd suggest finding a $ 40 on line with a diamond wheel. Not a 10K saw but it works. And figure a way to make a rock vice
so your cuts are accurate.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dremels are good for polishing hard stuff and cutting soft stuff. One reason a water cooled, lubricated, cutting blade as mentioned is needed is 1: to remove heat and 2: remove particles as the blade cuts. If heat and particles are not removed this will litteraly fuse the particles and/or melt the blade which clogs the cutting abrasive of the blade and will eventually destroy the base metal of the blade. Heat will also damage the stone causing it to crack and fracture unpredictably which is a danger in itself. For small stones sometimes just grinding will be enough but lubricants are often used here as well for much the same reasons.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That y'all very much . So much to learn and so blessed to have y'all to help me along the way .
Mother Nature provided me with one this afternoon I don't need to cut . Just turned around bcz I thought I heard someone say my name , and there she be. [emoji4]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462332073.886860.jpg
Along with a few other great finds due to the erosion in the beach uncovering them. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462332145.934863.jpg

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The dust stays in the air for days. Use water for coolant. I've done carvings in agate with a dremel, but you need to get a good diamond paste and a set of burrs.
The paste is for later stages, like pre-polish and polish.

I made my own: Diamond powder and vaseline gives you a nice diamond paste to grind with.

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what you post, I think that you are a GREAT candidate for a lapidary class. I just took one, and it opened up a whole new world of fun for me. I love cutting into a stone that I found, or polishing a pebble into a cab. Some clubs have machines you can use once you've been trained, so you don't have to invest in your own. Then there is the possibility of field trips with knowledgeable folks... I highly second gunsil's suggestion!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter took me to the Elmhurst lapidary museum today. Loved it! Signed up for my first class this Saturday. As a Mother's Day gift I received a tile saw. Things are coming together. [emoji4]

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!! And Good luck with your cutting:)

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful Mother's Day gift. I bet you meet some interesting people and learn a ton at your class. A tile saw is perfect for what you are doing. Good luck with it all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many understand my obsession with rocks . It will be nice to meet like minded individuals. The geologist said I can bring rocks in for identification. I'll spend my week figuring which, out of hundreds and hundreds, to bring with me. I'm so excited !!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread