Regrets

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what I just busted open. Thought it was just a river rock but when I busted it open has the same cool design not he inside. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462400082.464904.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462400095.853035.jpg
Is this a fossil I just destroyed with three whacks?

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy. Mine isn't that big but I can see similarities for sure.
Here is another pic from a year ago when it was whole. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462432654.908860.jpg

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy. Mine isn't that big but I can see similarities for sure.
Here is another pic from a year ago when it was whole. View attachment 1308553

yes it's not exactly the right Shape for an Egg, But I really don't know anything when it comes to Petrified Dinosaurs

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents - Don't get too excited. It might be a good sample of a concretion, but it is not an egg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents - Don't get too excited. It might be a good sample of a concretion, but it is not an egg.

I was excited with the idea of it just being a cool rock I could polish up. [emoji4]

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi PennyG; Take it to the Nearest Universities Archaeology Dept and have it ID'd. It looks like there may be several small fossils like snails or something embedded together. After you get the ID then you can talk about values ok. I think you are lucky in that it broke open cleanly rather than in a hundred pieces. "DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT" until you get a POSITIVE ID from THEM ok. THEY are the Experts ok. Who knows, you may have some type of RARE fossil embedded in it. Then when you get the POSITIVE ID please Post it here. We are dying to know. The suspense is killing me ok. PEACE:RONB

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To me it looks like breccia. A fractured and "glued" together to form a new rock.
Note the broken, dark angular fragments and the white rock which glued it together.

This is one I found on a grander scale: The hammer is approx 0.5 meters.

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I honestly wish you the best but in this case I would definitely err on the side of CAUTION ok. Not taking away from anyone here but I doubt any of us know for sure. That is why I suggest taking it to the Pro's. Sending them pictures is nice but they do not allow the Pro's to make a definite ID like them seeing it in person ok. What will it cost you ?? a simple trip to their Dept. ?? think about how interesting that would be ok. PEACE:RONB

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I honestly wish you the best but in this case I would definitely err on the side of CAUTION ok. Not taking away from anyone here but I doubt any of us know for sure. That is why I suggest taking it to the Pro's. Sending them pictures is nice but they do not allow the Pro's to make a definite ID like them seeing it in person ok. What will it cost you ?? a simple trip to their Dept. ?? think about how interesting that would be ok. PEACE:RONB

[emoji4] will do.
I'll keep y'all posted.

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one just like that. It had about 1" crust on the outside and inside was a grey stone veined white and a perfect sphere. I cracked it open but figured it was a Concretion or some old building material that was weathered!! Maybe I made a huge mistake. I'm going to retrieve the rock and will post any thing worth mentioning!!!

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PennyG - another thought. There is probably a rock and mineral club in your area. They typically have some guys who really know their stuff and are happy to look at an interesting rock. I really hope you have something good there and bet they would let you know. Otherwise, one of the rock shops.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be taking it with me to my lapidary class this Saturday. The geologist there should be able to tell me something about it along with my black rock I'm still working on cleaning and getting no where. [emoji4]

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lapidary class? is that about dancing or milk?

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in suspense. What did the geologist or gemologist from your class say?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread