Regrets

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what I just busted open. Thought it was just a river rock but when I busted it open has the same cool design not he inside. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462400082.464904.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462400095.853035.jpg
Is this a fossil I just destroyed with three whacks?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what it is either, But I like it.
Even with it Broken.

I don't think Fossil.
Maybe Concretion :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It can still be slabbed and cut for jewelry/display.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can still be slabbed and cut for jewelry/display.

Yea I was thinking the same.

Can't see from your Pic, But if it can be sliced through the Middle Lengthwise & Polised
It would look cool !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank y'all. A little voice in my head said to ask on here first lol . Nope, didn't listen.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462404375.917868.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462404388.606372.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462404401.512453.jpg

Ran it under the water. Not much change. Feels like dried mud and not much weight to it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462404471.000386.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just weighed it. It's about a pound and a half. Heavier than I thought.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank y'all. A little voice in my head said to ask on here first lol . Nope, didn't listen.

well look at it this way. What would you have done with it otherwise ?
at least now you know how cool it looks inside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True lol. I've had it for a year. Found a few large rocks yesterday on the beach and figured I'd break them all open . Cracked that one and then tried a second rock and my hammer broke. [emoji19]

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; If you look at the first picture in the second set of pictures look at the top right corner of that picture. There is a small piece there that is darker in color than the rest of it. I see several spots like it. The thing about that dark spot is that it appears to have ridges. I think you ay actually have a true fossil there. I believe it may actually be a Dinosaur Egg.Don't do ANYTHING more to it. Bring it to your nearest University Archaeology Dept and ask them to positively ID it. Then come back and let us know what they said ok. It could be very valuable. Take care with it ok. I'm not kidding. I, we look forward to the results. PEACE:RONB
PS: I absolutely doubt it is just concretion ok. Good Luck. There are several other dark areas I see on it as well ok.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh dear lord what did I do??!!!. Yes , the coloring is different. I noticed that right away. It seemed like the inside was wet but wasn't , just a different color.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; If you look at the first picture in the second set of pictures look at the top right corner of that picture. There is a small piece there that is darker in color than the rest of it. I see several spots like it. The thing about that dark spot is that it appears to have ridges. I think you ay actually have a true fossil there. I believe it may actually be a Dinosaur Egg.Don't do ANYTHING more to it. Bring it to your nearest University Archaeology Dept and ask them to positively ID it. Then come back and let us know what they said ok. It could be very valuable. Take care with it ok. I'm not kidding. I, we look forward to the results. PEACE:RONB
PS: I absolutely doubt it is just concretion ok. Good Luck. There are several other dark areas I see on it as well ok.

I'll try to find a POC at the University of Chicago. I believe that is the closest university to me.

Upvote 0

Rob.IV

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh dear lord what did I do??!!!. Yes , the coloring is different. I noticed that right away. It seemed like the inside was wet but wasn't , just a different color.

Oh great..!!!! The one missing link to bringing the Dinos back... Now we will never get a true, Jurassic Park. *sits down and begins to sob uncontrollably...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh great..!!!! The one missing link to bringing the Dinos back... Now we will never get a true, Jurassic Park. *sits down and begins to sob uncontrollably...
[emoji13][emoji38][emoji38]
Yes, that would be my luck . Fortunately if it is indeed an egg of some sort, I've seen more on the beach.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emailed someone with the Paleontology dept at the University of Chicago. Sent a few pics. Thanks guys for the info, insight, and great sense of humor.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread