Is this gold or fools god?

Jcochr

May 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this gold or fools gold?

I found this rock in the desert covered in desert varnish. On removing varnish, it was gold coloured and i have attached pictures. Any ideas what it could be? 1462823286461-1758627664.jpg 1462823377451519819874.jpg

I broke some fragments off by bashing the surface and they were black flakes that smelt of smoke.

It sounds a bit metallic when I hit it and may be easier to saw it than break it with a hammer.

It is not magnetic or attracted to a magnet like iron would be - maybe just a slight attraction.

Density from displacing water and weighing it is about 3.5.

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not likely gold. Looks to be a hot rock with pyrite mineralization, which caused the stain and the "gold" color. I bet if you break it that there will be an odor of garlic. I am sure others will tell you to crush and pan to find out for sure, but my bet is you have a rock for your garden. Sorry.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
While I agree with placergold, I always tell people that when in doubt, get an assay done by a competent professional.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jcochr

May 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks... I have attacked it but it did not break too easily and I added some more info in the post. It is good of you to share your thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jcochr

May 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
further progress

I asked a professional and he said it was a sinter deposit. They map dispersion halos of this to home-in on the no-see-um (angstrom range) gold deposits, apparently.

I took a chunk off for another photo. Could be very high in Silica and maybe iron which could be indicative of Opal or Gold deposits? 20160517_223305.jpg 20160517_223434.jpg

Upvote 0

4Strokes1Pick&Poke

May 3, 2016
Arizona, California, Alaska, Oregon, Florida, Loui
Detector(s) used
Garret Pin pointer pro AT. "Other" methods.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you didn't find a bunch of it like a "deposit", I wouldn't waste your time getting it assayed. It's $55 min unless you know how to assay yourself. It doesn't require a fire assay or lab to determine if the rock contains gold or not at home. It's actually pretty basic. Where a outs in AZ did you find it North, South?

Upvote 0

4Strokes1Pick&Poke

May 3, 2016
Arizona, California, Alaska, Oregon, Florida, Loui
Detector(s) used
Garret Pin pointer pro AT. "Other" methods.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you use a wire brush to clean it? The bronze from the wire will leave a residue on the rocks that look good in color. Even using a hand rotary tool will leave residual metals often. the rock below looks different than the golden one on the top I'm confused.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread