Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used CLR and like to see it foam when it is working. However, it is a bit expensive for cleaning rocks. I have had similar results with vinegar and time (what CLR will do in 20 min will take overnight with vinegar). Iron Out is a pretty good alternative too. Some people swear by coke cola, but I have not had much success with it. I also use some of the stronger acids (outside and with care).

One thing about CLR, that I learned the hard way, is keep the drips away from your countertop. It can pull the color right out, if it is not wiped up fairly quickly. I left some drops overnight which resulted in dime sized round white marks. The kitchen counters have since been replaced, so I am no longer in the doghouse. ;-)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used CLR and like to see it foam when it is working. However, it is a bit expensive for cleaning rocks. I have had similar results with vinegar and time (what CLR will do in 20 min will take overnight with vinegar). Iron Out is a pretty good alternative too. Some people swear by coke cola, but I have not had much success with it. I also use some of the stronger acids (outside and with care).

One thing about CLR, that I learned the hard way, is keep the drips away from your countertop. It can pull the color right out, if it is not wiped up fairly quickly. I left some drops overnight which resulted in dime sized round white marks. The kitchen counters have since been replaced, so I am no longer in the doghouse. ;-)

Why does it foam up on a few rocks and not others?
Also, do you dilute it with water ( CLR)?
I have a lot to do. I just put about 20 rocks in a pan and pour CLR on them. Not enough to cover them. Figured I'd flip them around every five minutes in undiluted solution and then add water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463022705.588928.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463022717.896276.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463022731.986030.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463022742.824705.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463022752.920827.jpg
Here are a few that I soaked in CLR for about five hours.
A lot of various fossils , I believe the last picture is of a fossilized seed.
The CLR worked well on the rocks with a lot of limestone and uncovered plenty of fossil impressions. Not too bad .

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAybe one day they will make a carafe / pot that actually has a functional "lip" that pours that first full pot without that spillage.

You would think that in the 1000 years of coffee making they would have ironed that one out.

They did......the original Mr. Coffee pot......until some eager beaver college grad got a hold of it.............
20+ years and 5 name brand coffee makers later, we finally found one that can pour a cup without a kitchen sink underneath it.......Kitchen Aid..........

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CLR worked well on the rocks with a lot of limestone and uncovered plenty of fossil impressions. Not too bad .

Very nice ..........beautiful details and colors........did your rocks keep their luster after they dried?

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, Penny, I have a favorite!! In Pic #1, it's the rock in the extreme lower right. The rock is 1/2 cut off in the lower left of Pic #4. Then is shown fully in upper left of Pic #5. How big is that? It's awesome!! ...Yep, I just used up enough data time to view them larger. That one is definitely my favorite! :hello2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Penny, I have a favorite!! In Pic #1, it's the rock in the extreme lower right. The rock is 1/2 cut off in the lower left of Pic #4. Then is shown fully in upper left of Pic #5. How big is that? It's awesome!! ...Yep, I just used up enough data time to view them larger. That one is definitely my favorite! :hello2:

The white with orange band is about a inch and a half tall. I have a few of those I found over the past month.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Eh, I was hoping it was maybe 4"-6" - the bigger the better. Is a beautiful specimen. ...You say you've found others like it? If it wouldn't be too much trouble, and if you happen to think about it, would be nice to see a pic of all of them together. ..Don't know what it is about that one piece - it just sorts speaks to me, so-to-speak. :director:

...Could you imagine one like that about 2' to 3' tall?? WOW!! That'd be a display piece for sure!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread