Identification of my 84lb green rock????

sweets10v8

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20160507_164731small.jpg
    20160507_164731small.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 247

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I like the piece, too. The things that can be done with glass slag, should it be prove to be so, are just as numerous as with obsidian or any good lapidary rock. I know knappers, including my neighbor, who would salivate over a piece of glass that large. Although glass is unforgiving as a choice in lapidary, I thuroughly enjoyed the end result when I cut and polished pieces from similar slag. The combination of translucence and transparency in the same piece was always a winner. Large blobs of 100 lbs or more used to be readily available from a local glass school. Should the OP go that route, I think the results could be very good.

Time for coffee.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sweets10v8

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm don't have and plans to really "do" anything with it, and probably not spending any money on it, I don't think, unless there is some magic that can dramatically increase its looks & value. My wife is just now asking "How much can you sell it for, How much can you sell it for" Hahaha......

I think that's another forum though. I saw a "Whats it worth" forum somewhere.

Id like to truly know and understand what I have ....I think its pretty cool...........my wife is a habitual money saver who sees opportunity to continue her with her hoarding problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hoarding? Did someone mention "wife" + "hoarding"?? Gee, I can somehow relate to that. :tongue3: ...And somehow, seems like I even help it along sometimes by giving her MORE useless stuff that we don't have room to display! :BangHead:

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm don't have and plans to really "do" anything with it, and probably not spending any money on it, I don't think, unless there is some magic that can dramatically increase its looks & value. My wife is just now asking "How much can you sell it for, How much can you sell it for" Hahaha......

I think that's another forum though. I saw a "Whats it worth" forum somewhere.

Id like to truly know and understand what I have ....I think its pretty cool...........my wife is a habitual money saver who sees opportunity to continue her with her hoarding problem.
Break it into 5-10 lb chunks and sell it on ebay. Probably make a couple hundred on it. Smaller pieces will show the translucency better too. green slag glass cullet | eBay Or throw it in the yard for decoration.

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rhombohedral fractures in the close up pics (thanks for those) would seem to indicate obsidian..............although I have seen glass tiles fracture in a similar manner..............

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Malachite answers are incorrect, it is certainly not malachite. I agree that slag glass is correct. I cut a lot of malachite, it does not have conchoidal fractures and is not translucent.
Agreed, none of my malachite fractures conchoidally.

Upvote 0

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely silica based on the fracture pattern. Love the color! It's quite a conversation piece for sure! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
======================================
THIS is what I am thinking, Where I live we have MANY old iron furnaces and lime-kilns. Some places have piles of stuff like this that ARE 15 FEET HIGH,,,

Wow, that would be a sight to see. Would you mind snapping a pic next time you're in the area?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sweets10v8

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I took it to a geologist that owns a store that sells all kinds of minerals and rocks, etc..... He confirmed it was slag glass, and that the imbedded rock was actually concrete.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely slag glass, I've sold plenty of it as well as more colorful cullet, but nothing beyond 30 pounds or so. If you could break it in half and fit the pieces into priority mail flat rate boxes you could get a few bucks a pound on eBay.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread