Large Sapphire?

WynterRose

May 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening. For my birthday I went digging at one of the many gem mines in North Carolina. There, I found a rather large rock that I assumed to be a geode. I took it to an employee who immediately freaked out and grabbed an older employee to look at the rock. The older man gasped and claimed that it is the largest sapphire he has ever seen. Is this truly a sapphire? This is my first time rock hunting and it seems so large. Included below are several photos for identification. I'm posting on my phone so I hope the images work. Any help verifying this is a sapphire will be much appreciated. The place I went to was a little tourist-y so I do not trust the employee's words alone.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The definition of a sapphire is basically any colored corundum other that red (Ruby). This looks like it could be corundum with a bluish tint, so yeah, a sapphire. Is it with anything? Not much, but makes a great collection piece that's for sure. Not trying to take anything away from ya as it's like I said a great collection piece, but I would say the employees were just buttering you up a little.

Try scratching quartz/quartzite with it. If your rock gouges the quartz fairly easily then you most likely have a pretty good size corundum specimen.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

WynterRose

May 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I did not know that was what a sapphire was. It did seem like they were buttering me up a lot so I had to check. It was a child friendly place where you get some dirt to dig in, so of course I didn't expect some gem quality stones. I found a carat calculator for rough stones and I'm working on finding my raw rubies and other stones, and the sapphire was estimated at 495 carats which was kinda insane. Can carats be calculated with weight even? I knew it seemed too dull to really make a nice valuable gem, but I really like the size and novelty of "finding" it, even if it was planted in "sapphire rich soil". They do seem to know what they are talking about in terms of identifying most stones (I'm good at identifying rubies and emeralds, not so much sapphires) but yeah, they seemed too enthusiastic. And I will grab a quartz outside and see what happens.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

WynterRose

May 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok great! It crushed the surface of the quartz into powder, I compared it to my rubies I collect and they did the same thing. It is quite interesting, this stone has some small red spots along a corner, and it is nothing like I envisioned a raw sapphire to be. I've never seen a raw sapphire before, and was surprised when they said it was a sapphire. Thank you, this was quite helpful. While it isn't worth much it is a sentimental piece in my collection.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not mean any offense, but that does not look at all like any corundum I have ever seen. For one thing, it is angular, so has none of the classic characteristics of corundum. Don't get me wrong, corundum can break, but at least one of the faces should have some form of classic hexagonal shape. Also, I say corundum, because sapphire is only sapphire when it is transparent. Even translucent corundum is usually not referred to as "sapphire", but instead, "corundum". If it is indeed corundum, it should also have fingerprint like striations when you turn it in the light, here is a link for what I am talking about,Fingerprints & Crystal Symmetry | Inside Out - Ruby & Sapphire. If I were to make a guess it looks more like some form of quartzite to me, but I will say I am not an expert on that. I do however mine for both corundum and sapphires, and have a great deal of them in my collection. I hope this doesn't in any way seem rude, I just would like to help out with the I.D. if I can!

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way, Happy Birthday!

I am curious, what made you separate out this particular rock and ask about it? Did they have any similar smaller samples/examples? Normally, they show you what to look for.

If they were "pulling your chain", it is kind of rude to send you home without first sharing the joke... One hint might be, did they take any pictures? Any "pay to play" worth their salt would want photos of exceptional finds from their place of business. Of course, if you are really good looking, they might just want a pic of you, as men will be men. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I personally also don't think its sapphire. If you know ruby, you should easily recognize sapphire. Same thing, different colour. :):occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

WynterRose

May 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for alerting me to the possibility that this is not a sapphire. I am extremely new to collecting rocks, in fact, this was my first big haul (I lost count at 53 total rocks). I selected this stone for identification due to it standing out from my finds while I was searching. It was larger and was unidentifiable to me, I truly thought it was a geode so I was going to just get it broken open. The people who inspected the rock pointed out the slight blue coloration and showed me an identification sheet where it shows a smaller version of the rock I had found. They took no pictures but told me I was very lucky, which struck me as odd. I did find some wonderful things from them, and I have identified most of the stones using a field guide, but for sapphires the identification sheet confused me, since the other stones were properly identified. They did have pictures of other people with their finds, such as a little kid with a large ruby, but not this rock. I kind of brushed it off, since I'm not a photogenic little kid, I just figured me and the rock would not appeal to the target audience or something. ???

I was not aware of the characteristic shapes that sapphires can be, or of the striation either. Now that I know what to look for, this rock seems very different than the rubies I have, so I don't think it is a sapphire anymore. Thank you for your opinions everyone. I will look into everything and see what this stone truly is. Overall I was happy about the trip, although I am somewhat dissappointed this is not what advertised, but hey, I got some nice crystals during my trip, so I wont let this one rock paint a negative picture for me.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think it is a Sapphire but it is likely is a Corundum (Sapphire/Ruby mix) Matrix compressed in it's host rock which may be a low grade Gneiss or Schist. I have found similar type Corundum Matrix specimens in North Carolina and especially on Chunk Gal Mountain where the Rubies and Sapphires developed in Smaragdite.

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread