Is my Opal worth anything??

NOLIMITQUEEN

Greenie
May 17, 2016
NORTH CAROLINA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys.... just seeing if anyone has any knowledge when it comes to opals specifically. I have had this opal for quite some years, it was originally set in a very expensive heavy 18k setting, and was purchased yearssssss back by my mother. I had the setting melted down when having a custom piece made, but held on to this opal. Is there a market to sell just my stone? .... Is it worth anything, and if so, where is the best place to try and sell it. How can you tell a good opal from a bad one? It is a pretty good size stone. I have no idea what the carat weight is, but I took pics of it with my millimeter gauge so you could get a better idea of the size. It has a lot of fire and brilliance to it. I'm hoping it may be worth a little money... :laughing7: Your help, and opinions are always appreciated... :)

Attachments

• opal 6a.jpg
    opal 6a.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 100
  • opal5.jpe
    opal5.jpe
    27.1 KB · Views: 96
  • OPAL11.jpe
    OPAL11.jpe
    31.3 KB · Views: 112
  • OPAL10.jpe
    OPAL10.jpe
    43.1 KB · Views: 113
  • OPAL9.jpe
    OPAL9.jpe
    40.5 KB · Views: 95

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it doesn't look as good in the picture as it should and can't tell for sure is it black opal? I know there's some from Australia that are very expensive can't remember what mine there from though, someone here might know what to look for or I guess you could take it somewhere to have it appraised and tell them it's for insurance and you don't want to sell it for a more honest price. Though they might want to charge to appraise it. HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NOLIMITQUEEN

Greenie
May 17, 2016
NORTH CAROLINA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello... No it is a white opal... it just has a lot of colors to it. I do have another that I should of added a pic of that I was curious about as well... it's darker, almost a blue gray color... And yes... everyone around where I live charges to do any kind of appraisal whether it be verbal or written... and I'm poor... lol... :(

Upvote 0

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would give you $100 for it.
So there ... now you know it is worth at least $100.

Upvote 0

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My guess is that it is a created opal with little value. It just has that "look" to me. I hope I am wrong though. You can't always appraise a gem by a picture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, this is a natural stone. Australian I'd assume.

There is a lot when it comes to grading opal:
Play of colour (= POC)
weight
Patterns (of the POC)
Cut
Base colour (this is what separates black opal from greybased or crystal opal)

And so on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NOLIMITQUEEN

Greenie
May 17, 2016
NORTH CAROLINA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Eu Citizen.... I was just going to say that I'm 100% certain it is a genuine stone, and not man or lab created. I weighed it on two different scales that I know to be accurate, which I calibrated just to double check. The weight in grams was 1.6.... and on closer inspection I would consider the main color a somewhat gray color, rather then white, if that helps with anything.

Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I know/have heard, the red is the most desirable color to obtain in opal.
The older they are, they can lose their milky color, and the fire color will come out more.
It's a very pretty stone, and would look nice in a pendant.
I couldn't say on value, I hear it's at least worth $100. :laughing7:

I sometimes will search ebay and etsy for loose stones/prices.....
where and how, some, come up with their pricing, idk...... :icon_scratch:
Thanks for sharing it and GL & HH!

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure it doesn't look as good in the picture as it should and can't tell for sure is it black opal? I know there's some from Australia that are very expensive can't remember what mine there from though, someone here might know what to look for or I guess you could take it somewhere to have it appraised and tell them it's for insurance and you don't want to sell it for a more honest price. Though they might want to charge to appraise it. HH

I think Lightning Ridge black opals are what you're thinking of. I have a small one, nowhere near as gorgeous as the one the OP has...

The red or "fire" is definitely the most sought after color and this one has a ton of it.

If it is in fact natural and not lab-created I would say $100 is an immense undervalue. I would say it's worth at least $500 and that may even be an undershot. I'm not a professional appraiser, but black opals with that kind of fire I believe are in the hundreds/several hundreds of dollars per gram

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NOLIMITQUEEN

Greenie
May 17, 2016
NORTH CAROLINA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stdenis_jd..... Now your talking in a price range I would love to get... lol... :notworthy: .... and yes I am 100% certain that the stone is genuine... not man or lab created...... so hopefully I can get enough information gathered about it, and then find the right place to sell it at :) ... I've also since found out that the carat weight is approx. 8 carats..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are about 5 carats per gram, so you have about 7.5 carats. Looks like the going rate for high-gem quality black opals can range into the thousands (per carat!)

That said, pay a few bucks and do what wingmaster said. Get a professional appraisal and make sure you tell them it's for your insurance ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NOLIMITQUEEN

Greenie
May 17, 2016
NORTH CAROLINA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit... I'm getting a bit confused at it being referred to as a black opal... as the main background color to ME, looks white or light grayish in color. I have this opal as well, that is darker in color... but I don't know a thing about it either.. lol... but this one looks completely different. This one weighs 0.6 grams. and has predominately green and blue fire, with a dark grayish background.

Attachments

• blk opal 1ab.jpg
    blk opal 1ab.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, first keep it out of the sun. Next, have it appraised. You may be surprised one way or another. You have a single stone. If a jeweler won't buy it, try a rock and mineral show, then a flea market and then Craigslist as a last resort. A newspaper ad may work, but there are just not many folks out there looking for an opal at a ridiculous price. My advice, have it put in a new setting and then wear it...

Upvote 0

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I love the play of color in the stone. I always preferred the pinks, reds and oranges to the ones that had a predominate green and blue body color. They are just warmer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Your profile indicates you're in North Carolina.

Seems to be plenty opals found in Western NC. There used to be an active NC gem hunter/trader here named BurntBear, but it has been nearly a year since he was active on TNet. His website is: One Time Collectibles

I did a Google search (duckduckgo = not tracked) for opals in NC:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=opals+north+carolina&t=ffsb&ia=web

I personally don't know a thing about gem stones, but it sure is pretty :)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Technically a "Black Opal" is N1-N3, if memory serves. We use a scale from N1(pitchblack) to N9(white)
Many sellers are VERY optimistic about their stones on the internet.:laughing7:

Upvote 0

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard that opals need to be worn they need the oil from your skin. And supposedly there are tricks tostoring them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread