Digging into Pegmatite 3.

wilfndgold1

May 28, 2016
san jacinto ca
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I havent posted in awhile Ive recently moved. Plus my other pc took a dump. Now I live near Bautista canyon, Cahuilla mountain that area, (he he). Anyway tomorrow im gonna go check out a new area were theres a hell alot of pegmatite Temescal plut
on. (see photos.) Ill take pictures post them when I get back. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wilfndgold1

May 28, 2016
san jacinto ca
Primary Interest:
Other
Well It hit 100 deg shortly after I finally made it out there. There is a lot more area to cover than I thought too. Well some time in the past, Could have been a couple years ago could have been fifty years ago impossable to say, Someone was doing a lot of digging out there, what they were finding I dont know. As always lots of Black Tormaline. The heat was killin it I wasnt there long but I will be going back, Heres some pics nothin interesting yet but like I said theres still a lot of ground to cover. 8-) 112.PNG 113.PNG 114.PNG 115.PNG 116.PNG 117.PNG

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wil, that is so awesome you found beryl! I knew it was in there! It may not be the prettiest, but the crystal formation is nice and it's a rare locality! Congratulations man. If you have any extra I'd like to buy some to add to my collection. Let me know! Keep at it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wilfndgold1

May 28, 2016
san jacinto ca
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it should be safe to go out to my spot today . Those guys should have harvested there weed by now and it should finaly be cool out by now 74 deg today maybe. Ill take pics and post later.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yellow beryl is called Heliodor.:occasion14:

That aqua looks darned near gemmy! Heck, if you keep going, you might find some gemmy pieces!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wilfndgold1

May 28, 2016
san jacinto ca
Primary Interest:
Other
Well heres some pics from today and how different it looks since someone rolled those huge quarts boulders down the hill. As you can see I got a lot of mucking out to do get rid of all that material layin around that I already dug out. I found a few pieces today low quality and small hopefully I just need to get down deeper to some sort of pocket zone. umm 009.PNG umm 012.PNG umm 018.PNG umm 019.PNG umm 020.PNG umm 021.PNG umm 022.PNG umm 023.PNG umm 024.PNG umm 026.PNG 8-)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always loved digging in peggies. I sure think the odds are in favour to find a few nice crystals. Keep at it!
If memory serves, I found most beryl in between quartz & biotite. Is that a trend on that peggie to?

Upvote 0

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting specimens you're turning up, you're very lucky! I'd suggest you use sledges and bars to move serious rock. No need to worry about washing stuff down, just move rock where that aqua came from. You may find a pocket, or it may all be crystals locked in matrix. Pressure washing is only practical where you have a nearby source of water and a good pump. You could screen and wash the dirt and gravel, though, that might be well worth doing, and wouldn't take too much water.

When you do find crystals, please try to collect them gently! They're worth more intact, in the rock, complete crystals are what you're after. To make great specimens, don't do too much trimming in the field, bring pieces home and work on them gently with a pressure trimmer or a diamond saw to remove excess matrix. Study the local mines and see what the indicators are, how the pegs trend, and you'll profit from your research. I'd strongly suggest you find out who owns the land. The deeper you go the less weathered and damaged the crystals are. The more blue they are, and the fewer fractures, the more they're worth. Learn what the typical pegmatite minerals are in your area. Don't bother looking for opal or copper minerals; there's tons of info out there on Cali pegs.

You should join a local rockhound club, and ask for advice. But don't show the spot to anybody, unless you want lots of company. If you find a rockhounding buddy you trust, after a few years, get him to help you dig. Two guys with sledges can move tons of rock. If the heat is so bad, collect at night.

And please go easy with the hammer on the crystals, there are many mineral collectors who will go a lifetime without ever finding a gemmy aquamarine crystal!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting pretty close to gem grade stuff there hope it gets better for ya.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They sure are starting to look better & better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wilfndgold1

May 28, 2016
san jacinto ca
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres one of the only other interesting looking spots left that I havent checked out yet. It looks already dug up a little to me. Looks like a dirt bike track, Well im gonna go out there in a minute go hiking and check it out ill take pictures. BBS.8-) perris.jpg r.jpg

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an old BMX course :) Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wilfndgold1

May 28, 2016
san jacinto ca
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres some of the peg I found in that new area. Some cool lookin Black Tourmaline out there just looks like more of the same. Tomorrow Im headin back to my Baryl spot with my new pick. garys 039.PNG garys 040.PNG garys 041.PNG garys 042.PNG garys 043.PNG garys 044.PNG garys 045.PNG garys 046.PNG 8-)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wilfndgold1

May 28, 2016
san jacinto ca
Primary Interest:
Other
Well cant go to my spot today, Frikin rainin waiting for it to stop. Dont get me wrong we need this rain ,But even then I,ll have to wait at least a day for the dirt road to dry enough for me to drive on. Grrr. :BangHead: 8-).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread