Help with id please

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocks were found in Illinois on the beach of Lake Michigan .
Picture number one , the two appear to be reflective. Not sure proper terminology ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464808538.353385.jpg

Picture number two. The purplish rock with white. Once wet looks completely dark purple. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464808590.345213.jpg

Picture number three. Rocks have pinkish to orange spots, wondered if they are agates. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464808674.006023.jpg

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if pic 3 could be agate in matrix. I cannot tell from the pic but I have found very similar looking rock and on mine there is banding evident on the lighter pockets and shows that it formed in pockets of the host rock (matrix). From the pic (and a quick search) it does also resemble gowganda tillite as stdenis_jd mentioned. You might be able to tell with the rock in hand which is more likely.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it's tillite, the pinkish spots will look like feldspar/granite (really granular looking) if it's banded like rings and or clear/translucent material then you've got like Eric said some kind of agate in matrix like basalt or something

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
O yeah, there's clearly banding in pic#1 of those last pics. Agate of some kind mixed in there. I don't have extensive enough knowledge to know much more about it though but I would guess it's still a tillite (imagine agates lying in mud then getting a couple miles of glacier sitting on top of them)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tile saw. However , I'm a little scared to use it to cut rocks that large. I've read a lot of scary reviews. Any recommendations ?

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That banding that can be seen in the 2nd set of pics really makes me think agate in matrix. Agates form in gas pockets in a host rock (basalt typically around here at least). We find agates separate after glaciers and things have broken the agates free from the host rock. Sometimes you can find pieces of the host rock that still have agate pockets in them. That's just my 2 cents as I am no expert and certainly cannot prove stdenis_jd's interesting idea wrong. :)

Here are some pics of what I believe is 2 agate in matrix from the North shore of lake Superior. Whatever they are they sure look similar to yours.

AgateInMatrix-Img_1511SSSS.jpg

AgateInMatrix-Img_1512SSSS.jpg

AgateInMatrix-Img_1513SSSS.jpg

AgateInMatrix-Img_1514SSSS.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all are all so awesome. Thank you again for the informative answers. I took a dremel to the larger rock last night. Kept getting red mineral off the top layer. I barely removed any but I can see a tad bit more banding. [emoji4]

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread