Devils Head Pegmatite

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping I might get luck and find some help with my most recent rock hounding obsession - the Devils Head pegmatites near Castle Rock. I had an eventful first trip down there over Memorial Day weekend, involving the largest blister I have ever got from a new set of hiking boots (despite the moleskin I put on as soon as I felt the hotspot), a car on fire in the middle of the narrow forest road, and the realization that I had NO IDEA what I was looking for... I was VERY fortunate to speak with a group that had been VERY successful, and showed me some of what they found as well as gave me some pointers for where and how to look. I ended up with some ok material, but nothing even close to what they had. I wish I would have asked for their info or given them mine, but too late for that now...

So long story short, I am hoping maybe someone on here has some experience/knowledge in the area, and would be interested in helping me out. Honestly, I have zero interest in trying to truly PROSPECT this area (its just over a 2 hour drive one way for me) - all I really want is to find a few descent crystals, and just enough knowledge that if a friend or family member ever wanted to go on an adventure, I could come back and help them find a few decent crystals. I'd be more than happy to give you a full day of digging in exchange for 1 or 2 of the crystals and the lesson.

So, on the odd chance someone on here knows the area, or know someone who does, please let me know!!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you get no response my best tip is to learn about pegmatite zoning. Different minerals are more likely to be found in different areas of the pegmatite.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions