could this be pink beryl?

beavis2

Jun 17, 2016
Highland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
pinkfront.jpg
beryl.jpg clearcrystalsclose2.jpg clearcrystalsclose3.jpg cleav-form.jpg monazite.jpg pinkcrystalfrnt2.jpg pnkcrstl.jpg pocketmaterial.jpg veryclosecrystals.jpg

In southern California, i came across a pretty large area of pegmatite, that was crumbling out of a hill on some large quartz granite mountains. The particular area is known to have some non gem quality blue beryl found every so often. I noticed grainy smokey quartz forming in the pegmatite areas with fairly large sections of muscovite mica. I collected a few things floating around on the surface. I included pictures of everything from the material that is in question, and the minerals that where in the area. Im fairly certain the tiny black crystal is a monazite, i found it when i split a small sample. I also included it.
I was hoping i had found a fairly rough morganite with lots of inclusions, but Im not sure if it is pink quartz, or even just rose quartz. The pink crystal appears to cleave in tablet like sheets(its hard to describe it as a crystal, but clear tabs form out of the pieces top). The crystals are most likely not calcite because they are very hard compared to my calcite samples. I found quite a few clear loose pieces on the hills surface around the area. The loose crystals range from almost clear, to clear white, pink white, and yellow golden. Im guessing some are quartz but some seem different in structure. Any opinions are welcome. I plan on going back and maybe seeing whats under the surface of the crumbling exposed areas. I can also include some pictures of the area when i go back in a week or so. Thanks for any opinions or advice.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, some of that is rose quartz. But(and it took me a lot of time here)I think that some is beryl. The darker(red) samples certainly look like beryl crystals, They are clearly different from the other material and stand out. The second photo on the right, the crystal in the granite, sure looks like it. And the two small round objects on the left contain the same thing. I'd have to be there to see the rest, even though your pics are excellent. Just my opinion, but I think you are correct in your assumptions. I tell people I was a geology major until I ran into calculus(3 times), but I spent 30 years teaching Chemistry in high school with the occasional class of Advanced Earth Science thrown in. So I'm not an expert, but I have seen this before. Pretty nice find, wish I could locate something like that in Texas...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

beavis2

Jun 17, 2016
Highland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the fast reply Austin. I appreciate you taking the time to look. I will just have to go back up there in a week or so and do some more poking around and see what i can find. Ill be sure and post some more pics when i go. I mainly look for specimens or something just to keep. I don't expect to find anything gem quality that's of any real size, but i could get lucky.

Do you have any guesses on this one ? pinkfront.jpg As to if it is a rough rough morganite or just rose quartz? The shape of the cleave, into almost tombstone style tablets, overall luster, salmon color, and clear crystals forming out of the side made me think rough morganite. Im also intersested in the zig zag inclusions of white, it reminds me of how sodalite or calcite can have white streaks and veins.

I have family not far from you in Lavernia and Stockdale, i used to go out to their property and hunt for geodes when i would visit. The property is nothing but red and orange clay full of flint rocks, usually some type of agate but we always called them flint rocks as kids.
Here are the few i have left from Texas, one has been polished. Ill tumble the rest soon i hope.
baconrock.jpg
unpolished.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

beavis2

Jun 17, 2016
Highland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure if it is a coral fossil or not because I was given these by family who kept them for like 40 years. It may have come from the Texas gulf coast area though. I know some of the rocks came from there as well. I'm pretty sure the polished one was from the same area as the rest.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do a hardness test; will quartz scratch it? Quartz and beryl crystals have slightly different crystal structure, which can help set them apart. Compare: Trigonal vs Hexagonal crystals.
But, its not always so easy. Hardness test will rule out softer possibilities. Also remember that pink quartz varieties rarely show crystal structure where as morganite (pink beryl) is more likely to.

I guess I can't give you an definitive answer. It's possible.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread