Pretty green crystals I found while in Afghanistan.

Killian_92

Jun 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I hope someone could tell me what they think these rocks are.

As you can see they are green crystals (some darker than others) in white rock (mica?) with black strands.

They are heavy, hard but can be brittle. see pictures below.

One pic is with a flash and without a flash. Let me know what you think.

Thank you.

With flash.jpg

Without flash.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will a knife scratch it? If yes - flourite.

If no; then let the (guessing) games begin!

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fluorite looks like the best guess and I agree, I'll throw in nephrite jade too if it's not fluorite as that came to mind before I read the comments:)

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering there is what appears to be Mica and improperly formed (black Tourmaline) in the host rock, I am leaning towards improperly formed and fractured Emerald. However, there are a lot of other green Gems and Minerals that could have grown in the host rock but if not Emerald, then my next guesses would be Aventurine or Amazonite.

Frank

Upvote 0

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Because of the mica, I also first thought emerald. Now, to find that 2-3 carat piece in those huge pieces that has no inclusions and is clear!! Probably at least a few in the half carat range if not, and worth the trouble for sure.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Because of the mica, I also first thought emerald. Now, to find that 2-3 carat piece in those huge pieces that has no inclusions and is clear!! Probably at least a few in the half carat range if not, and worth the trouble for sure.

I found a few 2 to 3 carat cutable pieces of the Bluish Green form of Beryl (Aquamarine) at the Ray Mica Mine outside of Burnsville, North Carolina when I used to go there. A lot of the Aquamarine is like the O.P.'s specimen, fractured and spread in and across the host rocks but every now and then, someone gets lucky and finds some nice Crystals. The largest Aquamarine Crystal found in North America, was found by one of the Miners at the Ray Mica Mine and I am pretty sure it resides at the Smithsonian. The sad part about the Crystal, is that it was sold by the Miner to another private individual for a couple of bottles of whiskey and twenty bucks. I knew the gentleman who was the Miner as he lived at the entrance into the National Forest access to the Ray Mica Mine and he even told which Mine Shaft the Crystal came from. He passed away some time ago and I sure miss our talks!

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread