Cui-Bono93

Jul 4, 2016
Orange county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi world, I'm new to prospecting and was wondering if anyone can link me to a couple of websites that can help me learn more about it. I'm more interested in gem's after traveling the coast of California and meeting people making and selling jewellery along the beach city's.
I love the outdoors and need a great adventure. If everybody can post links of websites with information about prospecting, forming of gems, how to identifying gems, pricing and trading, also other forum's i can join. Thank you everyone for the help...

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome! Looks to me like your gonna have a rough time learning all that.
I've had pupils who barely grasped the basics after 2 months; that was only the prospecting & forming of gems. Geology, basically!

Gem hunting is often learnt from many years of experience, reading & hiking.
Unlike many other hobbies, gem hunting requires a bit less specialized knowledge, but instead you need a bit of knowledge over many fields.

But here's a good site: Finding Gemstones
To really grasp the wealth of information there I suppose you need to know basic chemistry and geology.
Speaking of which you might find this site interesting: Geology and Earth Science News, Articles, Photos, Maps and More

There are also interesting videos on youtube in regards to geology, in case you'd prefer that over reading.

However I really, really suggest you get "Prospecting for Gemstones & Minerals" - John Sinkankas.
It'll get you started far better then any webbsite I've found.

As for pricing: I think you'll find its far off from gold with a stock price everyone can see.
Gems per se do not follow those kind of price rules; rather they variate from a wide range of prices. All depending on quality, rarity etc.
There are price guides who try to keep that in mind online, but more often then not they make a rather poor job of it.

You'd be better off going to a gemshow to see actual pieces & prices.

Question: Identifying rough or cut gems? Those are two very different things.

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Listen to the man and then go sign up in one of the myriad community colleges out there. Take Physical Geology and the lab that goes with it. Also take a freshman Chenistry glass if possible. The geology lab will teach you hands on about rocks and minerals. Good luck...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cui-Bono93

Jul 4, 2016
Orange county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im registered at occ for geology intro in fall. Im going to see if i can get into a chemistry class as well. Went crazy on google and learned alot. Still didnt scratch the surface but probably gona check out Pala San Diego on my next trip go to a fee mine to get some field experience. I got a couple friends with experience that gona come with me. Also i'll check out myraid community.
Thanks for the links and advice.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread