Do gold alloys form naturally?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Gold in nature is impure. Are you asking if specific alloys manufactured for jewelry occur naturally?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean do electrum (gold and silver), rose gold (gold and copper), and white gold (gold and nickel) form naturally. Like white gold is white, can i find white gold in nature.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In answer to your question, yes. Natural gold is normally mixed with other metals and/or minerals. Sometimes gold has been found that is .99 pure, but that's pretty rare.

There are basically two types of gold that you'll find in nature (no, jewelry isn't one of them :tongue3: ). There is placer gold and hard rock gold. Placer gold is what has been freed from hard rock, usually over many, many years and lots of erosion. Hard rock is just that - minerals that are still bound up in a vein within the rock of the Earth's crust.

In both instances, the gold may be "free" or "native" gold, or it may be locked up in other minerals, such as sulfides. With sulfide ores, you cannot just crush the rock and pan out the metals, but instead need to roast the ores and then crush and pan, or use chemical means to leech the metals from the rock.

The simplest mining to know is placer mining, and there's still a LOT to that! With hard rock mining, you have to know mechanics, geology, chemistry, and even metallurgy. And lastly, every location is different. The gold will still have basically the same properties, but even in a given area, gold may be 30% pure in one spot, while 100' away the gold is 80% pure. With hard rock mining, veins normally start out as oxide ores near the surface and turn to sulfide ores at depth - usually where water can gain access inside the rock.

Now going back to your question, amalgam is made up of gold and mercury. Both occur naturally - therefore, amalgam occurs naturally. Gold is commonly found mixed with silver with occasional copper, which is called electrum. Rose gold is a mix of gold and copper.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
kcm nailed it.

As for white gold, its usually platinum, palladium or silver. Some people are allergic to nickel, so it's not used that much if at all these days.
Well, at least not here. :)

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the placer gold I have found here is from a little gultch near where I live. All of it is only about 90-91% gold, the rest is silver, which would make it (I think) natural electrum. So I concur with kcm!

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There occurs in the Black Hills of N Dakota natural green and rose gold. There has been jewelry using these native gold alloys made for years.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
@ SorenCoins - Yes. Hard rock mining and Lode mining are the same critter.

@ Gunsil - Hey there! :hello: Haven't seen you post in a while. Yes, you're right....again! Lots of copper AND gold in the Black Hills. Got some natural copper nuggets that a friend made. Natural, meaning that the copper is not fully refined. There's still gold and trace amounts of many other metals in the nuggets. That's some of his below:

copper nuggets.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen that page before, always tried to find a picture of purple gold, then I searched up AuAl2 and here we go! Very interesting. PURPLE GOLD.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread