Can anyone tell me what kind of rock this is?

Olred61

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2016
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Rock outside my house in Oklahoma. I have scratched it with a pair of pointy tweezers and I did an acid test (combination nitric and muriatic) on shavings of this Rock. The shavings bubbled and then turned gray. This Rock is very heavy, is as big as both my fists together and silvery gray where there is no orange. Can someone please tell me what this is?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it dense? I can definitely see what looks to be cubic crystalline structure.
Looks like galena. PbS.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Olre61, of course there are many here that can tell you something about your rock. But think about it, what have you
told us about your rock. Just a picture and a couple of acid reactions.. A picture is helpful but the secret of any rock is more about it's characteristics.
Hardness
density
characteristics
streak color
Can you cut a line with it for instance with a steel blade
specific gravity
and more.

Understand there are a lot of great minds here, but while they might take a wild a$$ guess at what you might have, most are more about educating you in figure out what you have and presenting your evidence about it.
Who knows with a bit of effort you might be one of the experts.
So, tell us what you can find through scientific discovery what you know about your rock.
And ya, I'm placing the burden on the student. Not too different than my older days.

You'd be amazed what rewards there in picking up a rock and discovering what it is.
By your efforts already I think your about to become important part of this site for testing and discovering
recognizing the true nature of rocks.
Keep it up ok.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well. First of, the acid test you used is not very helpful. Get a 10% muratic acid, which is the standard for mineral ID tests.

But I agree with Brian that Galena seems very likely. I'd clean that specimen with "super Iron out" and put it on display somewhere. :)
To confirm that theory, a piece of calcite should also scratch it. Do that in a place not easily visible, since its a nice specimen.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread