Diamond, we will see

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unpacking my bags this evening from my trip to Crater of Diamonds and stumbled upon a bag of rocks I had forgotten about. Found a few nice pieces once cleaned up a bit.
The picture shows two pieces, both cut my mirror. I really didn't think it would but now I have two nice cuts. Oops.
I know more testing needs to be done and I will in the morning. Just thought I'd share.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470197972.802564.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470198001.393965.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry but the two pieces do not appear to be Diamonds to me! They are more than likely Quartz which has a general hardness of 7 while a mirror or window glass has a hardness of 5.5, so Quartz will scratch it. Not sure about cutting the mirror glass but if a piece of Quartz has a sharp edge, then it more than likely will cut the mirror glass. I have prospected for Diamonds at the Crater of Diamonds State Park and although I never found any Diamonds, the locals as well as the Park Staff showed me quite a few. When your' two pieces are dry, hold them in your' hand with the sun on them and if they have the look of and shimmer like the dull side of a piece of aluminum foil, then they might just be Diamonds.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty much know they aren't . It was a halfhearted post. I did as you suggested huntsmam53 . I don't see and sort of dull foil look. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470344623.769011.jpg

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I pretty much know they aren't . It was a halfhearted post. I did as you suggested huntsman53 . I don't see and sort of dull foil look. View attachment 1343829

Again sorry! Besides Quartz, there is the possibility of them being Topaz which I believe is also found at the Crater of Diamonds State Park, which often has a similar appearance and has a hardnes of 8.0 on the Mohs scale. It might be hard to tell if they are Topaz which has a greasy feel when you rub two fingers over them versus Quartz because practically everything there (i.e. soil, rocks, stones, Kimberlite and Diamonds) all have a greasy feel due to the Oil or another greasy substance associated with the Volcanic Pipe.

Edited to add: I just went back to look at the initial pics and found something interesting, so you might want to check out the light and darker grey/gray rock with specks of black which is in the upper left corner of Pic #1. It appears to have what could be a small Diamond attached to it or it could just be another piece of Quartz. If it is in fact a Diamond, it appears that it might be close to .10 Pts. in size and a white one at that. The first time I went to the Crater of Diamonds State Park, I took close to 300 pounds of rocks home with me in hopes that one might have a Diamond attached to it or stuck in a crack in one of the rocks. However, I was not that lucky! I understand that they limit you to how much rocks you can take out now, is that right?

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread