Wyoming trip again...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back this week to Wyoming. Still no diamonds, but I wasn't really looking. I did succeed in isolating the gem area I've been working. It is the only place, in several square miles, that produces both pyrope garnet and chrome diopside. I learned a few more things about that locale, but am keeping them to myself for the present. I hope to get back over there one more time this fall.
I did run into this little guy by my camp spot. Don't see them at this elevation very often. Downstream a few miles, they're common.
P8230014 - Copy.JPG P8230015.JPG

And, a few scenery pics:
P8240017.JPG P8250018.JPG P8260021.JPG
You can see the different layers of erosion debris above the clay layer in this one. The top layer has garnets and chrome diopside. I'm still evaluating the other layers and the clay. Generally, I've found the clay doesn't have much in it.
P8260031.JPG

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I am going to have to keep my eye out for those ant hills while out on the sagebrush flats. I have seen white clear stones on the ant hills and maybe I should have them checked out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since I started prospecting for gems six years ago, I've become obsessed with checking anthills everywhere I go. Those harvester ants do a terrific job of gathering the high SG material, often from as far as 150 yards around their nest. They save prospectors from an incredible amount of work and time. One caution is to not disturb the mound. They can be as old as 50 years, and are hollow inside and somewhat fragile. The indians believed that if you took something from an anthill, you should replace it with something else. You can learn everything you need to know, about gems in the area, by simply scanning the surface of the mound. You should carry a pair of forceps for picking the gems....it's nearly impossible to pick one off the surface with your fingers.
I remember the first trip where I started finding gems on the anthills. The only tweezers I had were attached to a Swiss Army Knife, so that's what I used. Those tiny tweezers saved my trip as far as collecting went.
Jim

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When the experts say "fragile" do they mean it can't be cut or faceted? Just curious, the colors are awesome!

It can be cut & faceted, but it's not easy. I suppose they mean from a erosion perspective that it doesn't last as long as the garnet.
Hardness is about similar to quartz. Has perfect cleavage, making it hard to cut.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually, EU, it's a little softer than quartz....5 to 6 on the hardness scale, similar to glass. The fragility is due to it's brittleness, and its tendency to split. As far as erosion...it doesn't wear so much as simply break apart. Most of the fragments I find are sharp-edged. That's the biggest reason that faceting is difficult...brittleness.
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually, EU, it's a little softer than quartz....5 to 6 on the hardness scale, similar to glass. The fragility is due to it's brittleness, and its tendency to split. As far as erosion...it doesn't wear so much as simply break apart. Most of the fragments I find are sharp-edged. That's the biggest reason that faceting is difficult...brittleness.
Jim

Your right. I was just guessing right of the top of my head in terms of hardness. :occasion14:
I've never tried faceting one, but I hope one day I will. I hope it to be easier then amber.:BangHead:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I ever find one worth faceting, I'll send it to you. Most of the few larger pieces I find have quite a bit of uncrystalized material in them. Dan Hausel even had one of them done, but it's not especially nice. It's in his book about Wyoming gems.
Jim

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I ever find one worth faceting, I'll send it to you. Most of the few larger pieces I find have quite a bit of uncrystalized material in them. Dan Hausel even had one of them done, but it's not especially nice. It's in his book about Wyoming gems.
Jim

During school several years ago I followed Dan Hausel's work closely. He has some excellent info for anyone searching for gems & Prospecting!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread