Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and no.

It IS manmade. It is NOT "fordite."

From what I recall, a Mexican ceramic shop produced wastewater laden with pigments. This built up in a catchbasin, and changed color whenever they did. Eventually it hardened somewhat, and some clever fellow thought it looked neat, had it analyzed as calcium and silica, gave it a stupid name, stabilized it with epoxy, and sold it to suckers.

There are lots of companies, unsatisfied with nature's handiwork, that specialize in making new varieties of gaudy fake gemstones. Sadly, some of them insist on being utter crooks and pretending their products are genuine.

"Fordite" is a different beast altogether, produced in high-capacity spray paint rooms at auto factories by overspray accumulation. It is a similarly colorful layered material, but is harder and not in need of stabilization.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, and no.

It IS manmade. It is NOT "fordite."

From what I recall, a Mexican ceramic shop produced wastewater laden with pigments. This built up in a catchbasin, and changed color whenever they did. Eventually it hardened somewhat, and some clever fellow thought it looked neat, had it analyzed as calcium and silica, gave it a stupid name, stabilized it with epoxy, and sold it to suckers.

There are lots of companies, unsatisfied with nature's handiwork, that specialize in making new varieties of gaudy fake gemstones. Sadly, some of them insist on being utter crooks and pretending their products are genuine.

"Fordite" is a different beast altogether, produced in high-capacity spray paint rooms at auto factories by overspray accumulation. It is a similarly colorful layered material, but is harder and not in need of stabilization.

There was a lot of debate back in 2013 about what exactly it was. I had to look it up now to remind myself.
Not only calcium and silica, but also pigments. So I do guess it's not "Fordite".

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife is Scottish so she can't pass up anything with Made In Scotland on it. She has some jewelry made from lavender twigs that are dyed, bundled, treated with a resin, pressure cooked, and cut into shapes for jewelry. It's worked like a cab.
It's really pretty and unique. The craft people don't claim it to be anything than what it is.
I happened to see a "How It's Made" show telling about the process. Amazing how some people can re-purpose stuff.

I can't remember the name but If I think I'll ask.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife is Scottish so she can't pass up anything with Made In Scotland on it. She has some jewelry made from lavender twigs that are dyed, bundled, treated with a resin, pressure cooked, and cut into shapes for jewelry. It's worked like a cab.
It's really pretty and unique. The craft people don't claim it to be anything than what it is.
I happened to see a "How It's Made" show telling about the process. Amazing how some people can re-purpose stuff.

I can't remember the name but If I think I'll ask.

Nope, I was wrong. The Scottish jewelry is made from heather not lavender. I get mixed up when it comes to weeds.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread