More nice agates and someone called law enforcement on me

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on another agate hunt today and brought home some nice ones. After looking for about three hours I was heading back to my truck when I noticed there was an SUV parked in the pit. They rolled down their window and that is when I realized it was three sheriff's deputies. Apparently someone saw me walking in to the gravel pit alone and heard a gunshot and so they called to get it checked out. I explained to them that I was collecting rocks and that I had permission. They were very nice and let me be once they determined I was not a threat. In hindsight that probably could have been avoided if I had thought to tell the owner what I drive back when I asked for the permission (over the phone). The truth is I was so excited when they said it was okay that my "script" went out the window. :)

My biggest finds of the day are still being treated as they had some calcium deposits so consider these a sneak peak of today's finds. More to come in the next day or so.

Agate-2016-10-28-Img_2465SSS.jpg

Agate-2016-10-28-Img_2466SSS.jpg Agate-2016-10-28-Img_2467SSS.jpg

Agate-2016-10-28-Img_2468SSS.jpg

Agate-2016-10-28-Img_2470SSS.jpg

Agate-2016-10-28-Img_2471SSS.jpg

Agate-2016-10-28-Img_2473SSS.jpg

Petrified wood
Wood-2016-10-28-Img_2472SSS.jpg

Happy hunting,
Eric

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff as ever Eric :) As to police its great that you have permission and the situation was a calm one.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! I had a similar thing happen to me when I lived in Prairie Du Chein! I had permission to hunt agates at a local gravel pit, and someone called the cops and said I was "doing something suspicious out there". When I gave the cop the phone number of the owner, and he called and confirmed, he told me he was going to the resident's home who called in, and tell them to stop being a busy body, lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! I had a similar thing happen to me when I lived in Prairie Du Chein! I had permission to hunt agates at a local gravel pit, and someone called the cops and said I was "doing something suspicious out there". When I gave the cop the phone number of the owner, and he called and confirmed, he told me he was going to the resident's home who called in, and tell them to stop being a busy body, lol!

lol.

Yeah it is kind of funny that every time I have had an encounter with police (as an adult ;)) it has been hobby related.

Before I moved to an area with darker skies I used to set my telescope up at a boat landing at a nearby lake. I was just finishing packing up to leave when I saw a car pull in to the landing. It is a popular party destination so I figured it was just some teens going out there but when I started driving out the car started following me. So I picked up speed I just didn't want anything to do with them when suddenly the lights came on and I realized it was a sheriff's car. He saw my telescope, informed me that technically the park was closed but said since I was just stargazing there wasn't an issue and let me go.

The other time I decided to go to a park after sunset in late fall because I wanted to take some pictures of the moon over the river. Someone called the police because they saw me walking in to the woods alone in the dark. Again they just asked me what I was doing and said there was no problem (that park closes at 10pm so it was well within the hours, even if it was dark). I did get some funny looks though, who takes pictures when it is completely dark out? I do. :)

Moon reflection off the river from that night
MoonReflection-10-04-2006S.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread