Conglomerate found in field. ID & info search

kudsavage

Nov 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I have found a rock while looking for indian chert in a field that seems to be chock full of indian artifacts. literally everywhere you dig there is pottery flint paleo aarowhead fragments and a lot of failed tools.

So far i have identified the rock as a Conglomerate of some sort. It was the only piece like it in all my years of looking in this area, Actually i have never found something like this.

Note that this piece is 4.6"x 3.5"x 1.4" and extremely heavy for its size roughly 9 lbs

I believe the indians who used this land quarried this piece from a far away location. This rock was found in north central Florida Madison County

here are some photos
IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0798.JPG IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0803.JPG

These pieces were found in the vicinity.
IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0812.JPG IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0815.JPG

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A nice text-book example of conglomerate. It's basically "River gravel" which has turned to rock.
Some of the larger rocks in the conglomerate seem to be made of chalcedony/jasper/flint.

I'd assume IF they mined it, it'd be to use the larger rocks in it to make tools. (i.e. arrowheads etc)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread