Help ,..Is it kryptonite? ?

Rocklinpup

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it kryptonite?
Hi this is my first time here I hope somebody can help with this rock. I stumbled across this about two weeks ago hiking up in the mountains and I brought it home started chipping away at it and realize that there was some kind of gem Stone in it. my problem is this rock is Mica base I believe,and its heat resistant. I'm trying to leave the stones in the host Rock the best that I can but try to make a little more presentable does anyone have any ideas on how I can do that or do you think I should just remove the stones that are in it and then try to clean them instead 20161102_171820.jpg

Attachments

• 20161102_171929.jpg
    20161102_171929.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 64

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mica can have a number of other minerals associated with it but I'm unsure what is present in this photo. Careful removal of the mica may help just chip away at it. I'd probably leave some of it alone if its showy enough so that it contrasts with the lighter crystals. If you can isolate a couple of good crystals and get better photo's of them it'll help with identification. Heat or acids will not do any good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rocklinpup

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello thanks for responding. So what I have figured out so far is that those crystals are either sapphires or something similar, I have also found small rubies,at least that's what I think I am looking at,still my biggest problem is getting all the black mica off,nothing I have tried works except using a dental pick.but I am trying to find a way that will do that job,better.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etching tool can help.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try getting a less blurry picture, please.

On the suspect mica, do a streak test. Occasionally hematite will look similar.
Also do a hardness test with a knife, preferably tests are done on the backside.

The white-ish mineral might be quartz.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread