Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but to me, it looks like Crystallized Bornite!

https://www.google.com/search?q=bor...&q=crystallized+bornite&imgrc=sCevrkrgzY-Z5M:

Frank

Bornite.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My computer will not allow me to look at your pic, being on a secondary site, My computer security warns me that it is an unsafe site for me to go to! (Because of my job, my computer security is very high, and can be really picky about where I go on the internet.) If you could post a pic on THIS site, I can maybe help you tell if it is covellite or not. Here is a link to some covellite I have found. $700+ worth of gemstones found with my detector I also own several pieces of covellite, as well as bornite, peacock ore, and many other copper based minerals. Covellite is actually quite rare, and only found a few places in the world, just FYI! Depending on crystal structure and other factors, It can be quite valuable!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could also be some "tourists peacock ore", which were treated to look like bornite but were other sulphides. I don't recall which.
It was a mineral scam several years back.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Covellite, rather than bornite for several reasons. You're intentions seem dishonorable all things aside.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Moesia, expand on the reasons it can't be bornite. I'd like to hear it.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Moesia, expand on the reasons it can't be bornite. I'd like to hear it.

You misread me, i did not say it could not be bornite, i stated that covellite is a more likely choice. One does not exclude the other, in fact they are commonly associated together. Bornite is replaced by covellite in supergene enriched zones. It is more noticeable on broader scales in open pit mines than in a single lump of rock. Color of the specimen in question is more consistent with covellite rather than bornite. Type in the two and you will notice a difference. Habitat of the rock is that of a waterlogged rock, which implies covellite. Ultimately there is also a great deal of personal experience when i am making a guess like this. There is no way to be certain of the true composition of the rock without making at least a thin section, as the two are known to mimic one another closely.
Speaking strictly by the appearance of the rock it is more likely to be covellite.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You misread me, i did not say it could not be bornite, i stated that covellite is a more likely choice. One does not exclude the other, in fact they are commonly associated together. Bornite is replaced by covellite in supergene enriched zones. It is more noticeable on broader scales in open pit mines than in a single lump of rock. Color of the specimen in question is more consistent with covellite rather than bornite. Type in the two and you will notice a difference. Habitat of the rock is that of a waterlogged rock, which implies covellite. Ultimately there is also a great deal of personal experience when i am making a guess like this. There is no way to be certain of the true composition of the rock without making at least a thin section, as the two are known to mimic one another closely.
Speaking strictly by the appearance of the rock it is more likely to be covellite.

I totally did misread you, sorry.

In my experience the best tip to tell them apart was a freshly exposed surface.
Bornite, when untarnished, is a copper-red colour. Covellite isn't.
Other then that, the difference in hardness will further aid the ID.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with a hardness test, covellite being softer than bornite. Still wish I could see it. When I click on the link, this is what I get.....
Privacy error

So I cannot see it. Again, if you could figure out how to post it on this site since I cannot go to whatever site it is you have it on, I might be able to help more! =)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread