A little help please

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to try my hand at making some simple jewelry using agates. I have a Dremel tool for grinding, cutting and drilling. The problem is I can't find any rock/mineral grade saw disks, drill bits etc. Do these exist for Dremel? Where can I find them? I checked Amazon but the descriptions were not clear. Thanks for any help.

MartyRocks

Dec 12, 2015
Nevada desert
Detector(s) used
None yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to cut, shape and drill certain rocks and minerals will be an act of futility with a Dremel tool, in my opinion. You would definitely need diamond tipped tools
to cut most rocks. I'm not saying it can't be done, just very difficult.

I belong to a rock and mineral club, where we have all the things needed to cut, shape and polish rocks. I would suggest you looking into that in your area.

If no such club exists near you, you may want to investigate a place such as Harbor Freight Tools where you can buy an inexpensive tile saw for cutting some rocks.
It works best when you have one that has water flowing over the rock and the blade, so you don't "burn" the surface of the rock, when no water is used.

Also you can look into vibratory rock tumblers for polishing your rocks.

I'm sure there others here who can give you even better suggestions! I've learned a lot from reading these forums posts. You might want to go over some of the
older posts, with the particular "search" term you require.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to look into the various diamond tip bits, diamond coated bits and diamond tip saw blades. I have also used drill bits, blades and cutting tools/tips that are made for masonry or cement, as they do a great job. I would use the diamond tip/coated bits/tools for Agates, since you need cleaner cuts and holes... I buy some of these items on eBay, as there is a huge selection of varying quality and prices. Maybe do a little internet search on "diamond tip" or "diamond coated" bits etc... to get an idea what is required for your specific needs. Love those Agates, although I'm a bit partial to a specific type, especially being from Minnesota--the true home of the Lake Superior Agates!:laughing7:
Good luck and please post some pics up for everyone to see

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to see them once you get squared away and get some polished up!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread