Need help identifying rock and minerals inside?

egarceau

Greenie
Jan 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again! I know I recently posted and truly appreciate the feedback as I am so limited in my knowledge of rocks and minerals (just enthusiastic about them!) I cracked this rock open out of curiosity some time last summer and have been trying to pinpoint what type of rock it is and the minerals found inside. I'm thinking mica of some sort? Anything helps! Thanks again!
Whatminerals1.jpg Whatminerals2.jpg Whatminerals3.jpg Whatminerals4.jpg Whatminerals5.jpg Whatminerals6.jpg Whatminerals7.jpg Whatminerals8.jpg

Last edited:

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
When you take a picture of a rock like that try to brake it where the water has not had the opportunity to erode and change the composition of the rock. Do not just brake them where there is an existing crack. If you want to keep them on a shelf intact then ok. The closest thing that you're rock resembles judging by the pictures is a peace of pegmatite. Plenty of interesting minerals are associated with them.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) Break it how you want to. The pictures are not to bad at all just need to get closer for some of them at times. It is generally very difficult to take a crack at guessing what a stone is without knowing where it came from, its harness and density as well as fracture patterns and any faceting or cleavage views *usually have to have a close up of the last three*. You appear to be enthusiastic :) thats great. I suggest you pick up some rock and mineral guides to study as they will help you immensely in identifying the materials your collecting. Also consult your local or state mine and geology departments sites to become familiar with the minerals common for your area and others you visit.
As to what your showing Moesia's observation is correct, the pictures are all pegmatites. Feldspar is apparent and the black material could either be tourmaline or mica's. Pegmatites have a mix of various minerals so picking thru them can be rewarding. Check out the thread Digging into Pegmatite, wilfndgold1 has a pretty good read on pegmatite's being dug there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
egarceau

egarceau

Greenie
Jan 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I will certainly take any advice I can get as I am very new to this and just picked it up as a hobby over the summer (Although I have always loved and collected rocks just without doing much research!) It's got to be a pegmatite which is pretty neat! I will certainly try and contact any local mine/geology departments to get additional information and looks like it's time to get some books! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"prospecting for gemstones & Minerals" by John sinkankas is a pretty darn good book for any newbie. :)

Upvote 0

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello again! I know I recently posted and truly appreciate the feedback as I am so limited in my knowledge of rocks and minerals (just enthusiastic about them!) I cracked this rock open out of curiosity some time last summer and have been trying to pinpoint what type of rock it is and the minerals found inside. I'm thinking mica of some sort? Anything helps! Thanks again!
View attachment 1403432 View attachment 1403433 View attachment 1403434 View attachment 1403435 View attachment 1403436 View attachment 1403437 View attachment 1403438 View attachment 1403439

I m'm with the consensus: it is highly weathered pegmatite granite.

Attachments

• 20170124_210204.jpg
    20170124_210204.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_2017-01-24-21-00-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-24-21-00-21.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
OP
OP
egarceau

egarceau

Greenie
Jan 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! That rock mimics mine almost exactly! Thank you! Trying to narrow down the minerals inside (based on pegmatite granite and minerals known in my area!) Truly appreciate all the help this site is wonderful!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread